Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Harwood color
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:38 am 
New User

What is the color trend right now for hardwood floors?

I am putting in a hardwood floor this week.
The hardwood floor will be in the Leaving and dining room, also part of the entrance leading to the bedrooms stairs and the hallway leading to the kitchen and family room.

I will stain the floor (Maple hardwood not oak) on the weekend, and i was just wondering witch stain color is "in" right now.
Every 5-10 years it seems that they is always a color that is more "in" then the others...
I going towards a dark color like a sherry, cinnamon, mahogany etc..
I do not like the color of plain maple or wood in general.

I am trying to achieve a classic look that will also outstand any trends-I do not want something to modern/funky.

Any ideas?

Also the stairs in my house already have a cherry mahogany stain, i would like the floor to be a similar color with our making the house too dark. The paint is my house is a dark yellow.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:43 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Just to let you know; maple does NOT take stain well. It will be splotchy, like pine. There are tricks to doing it but most pros advise against it. The trend now; if you want a darker floor, use a naturally darker wood, like a Walnut, Ipe, Cumaru, etc. You could go with an oak floor (which stains well) and stain it darker, then, if you change your mind about the color years down the road, have it refinished to a different color. One cannot go wrong with a oak strip floor finished in a natural. It will blend with any decor. I have been refinishing for 25 yrs. Natural finished floors are now what I do more than stained floors. In the 80's, everyone stained the floors; not so now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:55 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Most people are picking Early American. You can get it in a Minwax. BUT Gary is correct. Maple stains poorly. The same color by the same name is available by Absolute Coatings in Last-n-Last. They put a conditioning additive in thier stains to help even out the appearance in difficult to stain woods. You might even try to match Early American at your local Sherwinn Williams paint Dealer. Tell them it is for maple. Hopefully they'll know what conditioners to add to make a one step stain for you.
Hope that helps ...

http://www.absolutecoatings.com/CP_ResidFlr.html

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:53 pm 
New User

Thank you very much everybody.
I will not stain the maple then...I already have it and it is ready to install.
I will keep it in it's natural look and just put a little bit of shine on it.
Like I said we are going to sell our house very soon but next time i will get oak-as i really like darker color wood myself.

Thanks again!!