Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Has any consumer successfully sued Lumber Liquidators?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:16 am 
New User

I purchased LL's Bellawood Brazilian Chestnut engineered floor product approx 3 months ago. It was installed by a certified installer via the Home Service Store.

Three months later, the floor has severe checking and deep cracks throughout; approximately 80% of the floor looks like it has been "keyed."
Not surprisingly, LL's inspection report says it's my fault because the relative humidity was kept too low.

Has anyone successfully sued LL? My problem is distinct from the class action lawsuits plaguing their laminate product. Please advise. In my experience, no lawyer wants to take a case where the stakes are so low (approx. $40k). I am located in NJ.

Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Has any consumer successfully sued Lumber Liquidators?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:35 pm 
Prized Contributor

Look up NICFI and get yourself a real inspector.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:51 am 
Site Admin

Gab:

If there's anybody that would know more about dryness it would be Stephen. And he's right about a real inspector. Maybe one day we'll hear the real truth about the current LL inspectors. I've heard far too much ugliness (that finally came to light recently) about the company that doesn't include the laminate problems.

Their opinion is utter BS in my opinion. A typical engineered product should have a content of 6-8 % moisture. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not a wood science expert, but even the driest of driest conditions can't affect it that quickly? It sounds like the LL product had a high moisture content at the time of the install which is not unusual for them.

As far as suing, I can't help on that matter. But it's sickening how they operate.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:47 am 
Prized Contributor

Oh I've seen the moisture content of some exotic up to 10%. Throw that into a house with low rh and yes, you've got checks and splits with gaps as well.

It's not really the installers fault unless it was that dry (below 30%) at time of installation, who knows. I educate my clients on rh and humidification. Many wood products have zero information about keeping the rh within the correct zone however many have that posted right on the outside of the boxes.
Some manufacturers will bury it in the warranty and maintenance sections as "recommended rh). If you have any literature that came with the wood in the box check and see what it says.
Checking and splits are not warrantied by anyone really, just de-lamination of the plies and then thats a battle they will try and wiggle out of as well.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:59 am 
New User

We tried to get LL to pay fir a buckled floor. They did exactly what many of these posts indicated and eventually blame installers who did exactly what they were supposed to do, used appropriate materials, method, etc. LL will send their guys out to tear up sample and come back with installer issue. Our lawyer eventually said "how much money do you want to throw at this because they will keep fighting". They settled on giving us in store credit for a small fraction of what this will cost us.

In short, do your homework extremely well. Thus is a great forum for info. And never, ever buy a floor from LL. They really should not be even be in business. Eventually, the BBB will catch up to them. We know too many people that have had problems and they won't back their products.

Out a 5000 sq ft floor and $20k

Profile E-mail