Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: have any of you ever heard of this before?!?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:57 am 
Newbie Contributor

Well some of you might not believe this cause I wouldnt of unless Id not seen it done!

I was laying down about 200sq ft of 3" prefinished oak, nothing special about it or anything on my part but the owner did ask me if I could "refinish" about 300 sq ft of laminate flooring?!?

Now Ive never heard of this before, Ive heard of refinishing engineered flooring but never laminate!

Am I crazy or have you guys heard about this being done? the owner wanted me to lay some poly on his floor! And whats crazy is that he got someone to do it!

I was there when the guy was doing it, asked him the general questions since he was a "seasoned" flooring guy,lol. He was actually rolling oil based poly on this guys floor!

He told me since I was very inexperienced at flooring there was no way I would of known it was possible to refinish laminate flooring! Hes been doing it for years.

Man I felt like cracking this guy in the head as he talked down to me in front of the customer,lol, oh well-we'll see what that floor looks like in a few days or weeks.

Just wondering if you guys have ever heard of someone doing this. ANd this was laminate flooring, the snap together stuff, like pergo.

Laters,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:17 pm 
Prized Contributor

Someone told me the Basic TyKote no sand system will work, but you don't use oil with that system. You use StreetShoe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:19 pm 
Newbie Contributor

MIKE.

NO WAY Laminate is NOT ever to be sanded, nor put anykind of finish on it. It is non-porce. I am in ahh over this one. Forgive the spelling mistakes. No spell check on this desk top!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

When Basic first came out with the Tycote system, I took the seminar to become Tycote certified ( woop-de-doo, big deal). Anyway, the instructor stated that using this system, laminates could be recoated. This all sounded great until the BS started when the instructor said that Street Shoe was tougher and more durable than the laminate finish. At that point, he lost all credibility. But if I was ever called on to re-coat a laminate, I would definitely look into using the Tycote system. As far as laying an OMU over a laminate, that's bogus. It ain't gonna stick unless the guy's pre-treating it with something to soften the laminate surface or using some form of a bonding agent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:55 pm 
Newbie Contributor

A few years ago in Vegas at a convention I ran into and talked to a guy that CLAIMED he created a way to due this. It was basically a modified trio with 400 grit...thats right 400 grit paper and then an aluminum oxide finish. Does it work? Who knows...but it's out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:50 am 
Newbie Contributor

Why would you bother ? Seems like way to much liability and risk to get involved. I was called upon to look at a laminate braz. cherry a few weeks ago. The installers destroyed the finish replacing the furniture. Customer had another flooring company look at it before I did and had told the customer he could re-coat it and would follow up with a price. I told him the guy knows something I dont and would prefer to leave it upto him. Good Luck ! Installer was the son and his buddy. Nothing to get from them.........