Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Have mercy! Ding, ding, ding...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:23 am 
Newbie Contributor

Okay, work your way out toward your tools and loose flooring--I wish I could have. Unfortunately, I have had to carry my wood and tools across newly finished areas. You guessed it...I have dropped wood and that stupid combination square. Ding, ding, ding! :oops:

I've called myself "STUPID!" enough. Filler alone isn't going to quite do the job, except in places where it matches fairly well and I might be able to apply some Cabot water-borne urethane over it. I am planning to buy the touch-up kit that matches the prefinished flooring.

How about some advice from you experts? I know you are well acquainted with this situation. Come on, admit it! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:16 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

When installing factory finished flooring, I use the cardboard cartons the flooring came in to store tools and flooring on. Besides being as careful as possible, accidents do happen. A couple of times I dropped my tape measure and it made a dent. All that one can do is replace the board that gets dented/dinged. Filler works occasionally but rarely matches that well. It looks like what it is, filler. I attempt to organize my work space so as to avoid having to carry tools and flooring across the newly installed floor. Even with that, stuff happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:33 am 
Site Admin

Sure I've done it in my earlier days when I didn't know any better...even in my golden years of installation. Keeping the jobsite organized is the best solution to avoiding problems. If they're minor, look at it this way; in 2-3 years you probably won't find the dings as they'll be surrounded by other dings caused by everday use.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:37 am 
Prized Contributor

Nope, never dropped a tool on a newly installed floor, lol. right. All you can do is change the affected boards, or accept the dings as character.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:41 am 
Prized Contributor

Welcome to the club Joel :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:14 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I always use the boxes also .. I figured that is why they don't put staples in them .. I box the complete floor till the job is finished .. helps to tape them in a few spots so you don't kill yourself though .. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:14 pm 
Prized Contributor

If I'm working on a floor with a lot of variations, I don't cover anything so I can see what is what.