Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Do I have oil or water based finish on my floors?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:33 pm 
New User

I'm closing on my house on the 27th of this month. The wood floors are in good shape, and do not appear to need any sanding. However, I would like to buff them and refinish them before I actually move in. I've read numerous techniques online about how to buff floor and properly finish them, but I haven't seen anywhere that tells you how to figure out what type of finish was used before to make sure you use the right one (oil vs. water). I do not want to use a water based finish on top of an oil based one or vice versa, any input or help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Do I have oil or water based finish on my floors?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:33 pm 
Worthy Contributor

You can usually tell by looking at them. If they were site finished you can just; buff them apply a sanding sealer, then apply a coating of the finish of your choice. The sealer will help make sure the new coating will bond. I suggest Bona Traffic finish.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:37 pm 
Valued Contributor

The floors are obviously cured totally .This means that you can put oil or water based finish on top. The key to remember is to remove any trace of contaminates from the floor.This includes oil soaps, floor polishes and waxes. Murphy's oil soap and the like will prevent new finish of any kind from properly adhering

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:02 am 
Newbie Contributor

nglacey wrote:
I'm closing on my house on the 27th of this month. The wood floors are in good shape, and do not appear to need any sanding. However, I would like to buff them and refinish them before I actually move in. I've read numerous techniques online about how to buff floor and properly finish them, but I haven't seen anywhere that tells you how to figure out what type of finish was used before to make sure you use the right one (oil vs. water). I do not want to use a water based finish on top of an oil based one or vice versa, any input or help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

You don't say, but I am assuming your floors were site finished, and urethane. Oil modified polyurethanes will give wood a wet look (deeper color), and amber with age. Water based urethanes are lighter white-ish films (think wax paper,) which look more like unfinished or dry wood.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:36 pm 
New User

RhodesHardwood wrote:
You can usually tell by looking at them. If they were site finished you can just; buff them apply a sanding sealer, then apply a coating of the finish of your choice. The sealer will help make sure the new coating will bond. I suggest Bona Traffic finish.

Thanks for the responses everyone, I really appreciate it. So my next question is this, if I buff the floors, should I use a sanding sealer and then apply the water or oil based finish? I think I am going with a water based finish, does this require a certain type of sanding sealer? I would like to do the floors in the house first before I paint or touch anything else, so I'd like to have it done as quickly as possible all while doing it right I don't want to rush it. Any more tips or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:33 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Buff and 2 coats of Traffic. Application is not as easy as the videos show.
Might be an expensive diy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:41 pm 
Valued Contributor

If your floors are contaminate free, you buff them thoroughly and then you can put your water base finish of your choice directly on top.

If you use Bona Traffic, follow the manufacturers directions and consider using their proprietary roller to apply finish to the field.Cutting in can be done with a good 2 or 3 inch brush.

Regarding sanding sealer, there's no need to use it in your application.Sanding sealer is designed to seal porous surfaces like bare wood.

Profile E-mail