Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Heart pine 1x12's
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:39 am 
New User

I would like your input to help me install my wood floor.My room has a concrete floor and is 29'3" long and for the first 14'4" it is 11' 9 1/2"wide and the rest is 13' 9 1/2" wide. I have 30' long heart pine 1 x 12's(100 yr old from my wife's grandmothers house that I tore down ).I want to run the boards the length of the room.Should I put down vapor barrier and what kind? Should I strip with treated 2 x 6's or treated plywood ? I am thinking about first running the 1 x 12's around the perimeter of the room( 45 deg corners) then the length. Should I stagger or leave full length? Also gonna leave edges as is.She wants lol; the cracks to show just like in her grandmothers house.There is also a 2 1/2" difference from this room to the next .I plan on lightly sanding and finishing with clear..My funds are definitly limited. Thank you!

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Heart pine 1x12's
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:24 am 
Newbie Contributor

Lay down some 6 mil plastic first, then 3/4" CDX ply over that. Dont think you need treated, if moisture is that much of an issue you'll probably have much bigger problems.

I've only ever gone with one layer of 3/4" cdx fastened down to the slab with tapcons. Some may suggest floating 2 layers of 3/8" CDX with the two layers running in alternate directions. If i ever have to do it again, i'd probably give the floating method a try. Sinking a few hundred tapcons is brutal (mentally and physically) and I have a feeling you may get a little better feel out of the floating method.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:31 pm 
Prized Contributor

Well I can envision all sorts of problems if that lumber is not perfectly flat trying to fasten it down on just a 3/4 inch thick subfloor,
I'd guess it is not T&G. So if you have the height ( about 2 1/2 inches) or more I would seriously think about doing the old NOFMA sleeper flooring system. And screwing it to the sleepers then peg the holes.

This will allow you to pull the floor down tight.

See "sleeper" in the link; http://www.hardwoodinfo.com/articles/view/pro/28/241

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:10 pm 
Newbie Contributor

If it's not T&G then all bets are off.

Profile E-mail