Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Heavy furniture on bamboo floor
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:17 pm 
New User

We were thinking about replacing carpet with engineered bamboo (we like the bright natural, not the carbonized ones) but now heavy furniture have us thinking again.

I'd appreciate your comments on this.

IIRC I read in this site that bamboo floors get marked by high heeled shoes. If that is the case, won't it get scarred by heavy furniture, like aquarium or heavy display cases? Are wood floors any better on this point rather than bamboo?

Thanks !

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:36 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

High heels will dent any wood or bamboo flooring, but your furniture (with good pads) should be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:11 pm 
New User

I'm not an expert on wood or anything, but I have had a lot of experience with aquaria. If you're going to be putting anything bigger than a 30 gallon on the floor, you might want to stay away from a metal stand which only sits on floor thin posts. That kind of density will dent anything except concrete and tile. If you get a wood type stand which will spread the weight out a bit, you should be fine. But if you want to use a metal stand for some reason, put down some pieces of sacrifical pieces of wood to act like "coaster" under the legs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:41 pm 
Newbie Contributor

2wheelsx2 - I was thinking of putting an aquarium in our living room (a 30 gallon currently in the kitchen), but was worried about having one on my newly laid wood floor.

It's not a problem to have aquariums on wood floors (assuming an appropriate stand)? We always seem to get water on the floor, typically during water changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:15 pm 
New User

Thanks !

Our aquarium is a 29 gal one on a wooden stand, so I guess we should be okay. Will put pads under display cases and the padded stickers under table and chair legs.

How long shall we wait before moving the furniture back onto the new floor? Half day, or one day or more?

Thanks again.