Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Heavy Traffic Floor Refinishing
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:08 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I have an old pine floor (1930 installation I believe) in the kitchen, that was refinished about 5 years ago with a verathane finish. Then we got the dog.... There are worn patches on the floor where the dog motors around corners, when someone comes to the door. The dog's nails have done severe wear to the finish as well as gouges through the surface into the pine.
Is there a bulletproof finish that would be able to stand up to the abuse that would be recommended? I have heard there is a bowling alley grade of Verathane that might do the job..... Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated...
Regards
Doug

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:40 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Varathane is a brand name of finishes marketed to the consumer, not the professional market. Bowling alley finishes are typically moisture-cured urethanes which were/are the toughest available. However, they are flammable and difficult to apply. Nowdays, most pros turn to the tougher waterbased finishes for the residential market. My favorite at this time is Bona Traffic. I have compared it to others on the market and in the real world, it is more abrasion resistant. But any finish can scratch and wear out. Proper maintainence and a reasonable recoat schedule will prolong the life of a finish and a floor. By your description, I think you are past a recoat and are looking at a complete resand and refinish. Contact a local NWFA professional for a job site analysis and request to have Bona Traffic used on your floor.