Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HELP! Bubbly spots all over the floor after 2 coats of poly
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:10 pm 
New User

Hello,

We found the hardwood floor under carpet after we moved in the house, so we tried to refinish it. Hand sanded 80 to 120, vacuumed, cleaned with mineral spirits soaked cloth. After that I applied Minwax gloss oil based poly for floors. The first coat were fine, but found several spots that were not fully covered a it dried up. I hand-screened the floor with 220 after 24hours, and I noticed tacky particles came off since the floor was not fully dry. But anyway I finished screening, vacuumed and cleaned with the cloth soaked in mineral spirits again. I recoated with the poly, at this time little thicker than the first coat.

Already passed two day, but it is not fully dried up yet. The main problem is the little bubbly spots all over the surface. I thought it would be bubble first time, but I suspect it could be that tacky particles from the screening of the first coat. I also don't like the glossy look. It looks too old style. In this case, how can I rescue this floor? I tried to buff one corner, but the poly was peeling off rather buffed... What I'm thinking now is: wait until it drys more (but how long?), buff, and third coat with satin poly to dull down the shine. Would it work in this way? Otherwise, what should I do? Please help me... I spent too long time for this job... In the video, you will see little bubbly spots and even a hair under the second coat..

My husband wants to stop here. He just want to try hand buff with steel wool oooo, and clean with mineral spirits. Would it work to minimize the little spots if we stay with this glossy look?

Thank you.

The below is the YouTube video for the floor.

http://youtu.be/oJWpAIai5js

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: HELP! Bubbly spots all over the floor after 2 coats of poly
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:56 pm 
New User

One more thing, I saw a YouTube video, and the guy in the video recommends to use water based poly over the oil based one as top coat for remedy of the situation. Would it work?i should've known this website before I did the job....

Thank you!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:56 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Resand or call a pro if poly is peeling off during in between coat abrasion you'll have trouble now or down the road.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:58 am 
Prized Contributor

Wait to coat until the surface powders when it is sanded lightly with 100 grit hand sanding.

Profile E-mail