Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HELP!! Cleaner Severely Damaged Wire Brushed White Oak -- HE
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:09 pm 
New User

We are at the tail end of finishing a 2+ year renovation process -- we are set to move in a week. The floors we put in the house are white sawn random width wire brushed white oak manufactured by Woodwright's Wide Plan Flooring. Before installation, the planks were pre-finished with WOCA European, all natural finish at the manufacturer.

This week, we hired professional post-construction residential cleaners to thoroughly clean the house prior to move in. They were instructed to wash the floors with WOCA Natural Soap. According to WOCA's instructions, the cleaners were supposed to dilute the soap and wipe the floors using a small amount with a damp mop, and then wipe the soap off with cotton towels. Instead, the cleaners used 10x the proper amount of WOCA soap, undiluted, and then left the floors sitting with the soap on it overnight.

The result was horribly sticky floors with a huge amount of soapy, waxy substance heavily coated on them. When the mistake was realized, the cleaners were instructed to try to wipe up the soap by using a small amount of water and cotton towels to wipe off the excess soap. The cleaners, however, ignored the instructions given and proceeded to use a nylon brush buffing machine with a huge amount of water to attempt to clean the floors. As soon as it was realized that the cleaners were making the problem worse, they were told to halt all efforts.

Unfortunately, what we are currently left with are floors that are darkened, shiny, and weirdly splotchy. Additionally, the floors are also cupped/raised in places because of the excessive water used to remove the soap.

We are devastated and attempting to figure out what our options are to help repair/salvage what were once beautiful floors.

Putting aside the cost and time involved, replacing the floors really isn't a viable option given how the home is built.

We are currently trying to find out if there is a product that we can use to strip off the soap, but have had no luck with that thus far.

We are also investigating refinishing the floors. However, we've been told by local and reputable flooring installers in the area that it would be impossible to refinish the floors with the wire brushing. The installers maintain they couldn't wire brush the floors in a way that would look good -- in part because of the number of "reveals" in the house that makes it impossible for a machine to get edge to edge.

Does anyone have thoughts/experience on potential remedies for a situation like this???

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: HELP!! Cleaner Severely Damaged Wire Brushed White Oak -- HE
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:28 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Oh gosh, I feel your pain. That absolutely stinks, and no I don't think there is a simple solution.

I think your 2 main options are 1) rip up and replace (prob the best options) or 2) try to refinish.

These are only ways to eliminate cupping and blotchiness.

If you do option 2, I would not expect it to look the like the original prefinished and it is costly process..may cost you 2-3 times as much as a standard refinish, maybe more. If you go this route, I would contact manufacturer and see if they can provide the sanders with the formula. And, they could test it. But, this is not an easy process and I don't blame the local installers for not wanting to do this. (I am of course assuming this is solid hardwood on engineered glued down that could be refinished.) If it's floating, forget it.

I think the better option is ripping it up and replacing. I get that you may have other things on top of it (e.g. cabinets, etc), but you may be able to work around these and add quarter round.

I hope the cleaning company has good insurance. This will be costly.

Debbie Gartner,
TheFlooringGirl
Westchester, NY
http://TheFlooringGirl.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:41 am 
Prized Contributor

Your home owners insurance agent may be able to help.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:04 pm 
Newbie Contributor

How did you make out?