Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help in Dallas Refinishing Floors
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:54 pm 
New User

Hey guys this forum is great and I have learned a lot from it. Before I got on here I attempted to refinish 1 room in my house. I used HD stains and Polyurethane (Minwax). Needless to say I got it done but it was not what I was expecting. A few bubbles here and there, as well as some overlap marks. It took like 4 coats to get it close to right.

So here is my question. I am buying another house, and I want to install hardwoods there. I am hesitant to put in engineered since so many have said true 3/4" hardwoods have that custom finish that engineered can't give you. I was wondering if a pro would be willing to come out and show me how it is done in say 1 room. I have would have the floors sanded, stained, and ready for finishing. Of course I would be willing to pay a fair price for this. I am not trying to get into the business of finishing floors, however, I am a huge do-it-yourself guy and I like to learn how to do things the right way. Feel free to email me if you are interested. Thanks.

Jeff
jeffcieslik@jeffcieslik.com

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:55 am 
Worthy Contributor

I am confused what the thickness of the floor has to do with the quality of the finish.

When you refer to a 3/4" floor do mean that a 3/4" site finished floor has a different look than an engineered plank? Because, IMHO the finish on a high quality engineered plank will outperform any site finished product. However the fact that the flooring is either assembled in planks of usually a strip floor with micro bevels at the edges, will give the floor a different appearance to those that are looking for it. Many people do not dwell nearly as much about their flooring as I do.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:48 am 
Worthy Contributor

I also belive the difference youre thinking of is prefinished vs site finished.

I personally feel todays finished out preform most aluminum oxide finishes (probobally the reason so many companies are making materials and tools to recoat prefinished floors) IMO

anywho to answer your question, a professional may be willing to come show you how it is done, never hurts to ask

Profile E-mail