Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help. My dog may have damaged my newly installed floor!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:13 pm 
New User

We just had our engeneered wood floor (robbins-Pecan plank floor) installed by a professional less than two weeks ago. Unfortunately, our very old dog, escaped from his area and urined on it twice. Although we were able to clean it up quickly the second time around, several (7) of the planks are damaged, almost as if the skin of the wood is leathery and appears to have raised grain or ridges accross the width of the boards. It looks like it's buckled in some areas. I've never had wood floor before, but it seems strange that an expensive floor such as this can damage so easily. I also noted scratches already although we have been careful to keep our shoes off. Are wood floors these unforgivable or is it possible that the planks are defected? Any thoughts?
Very disappointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:19 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Well, the planks may be defective but there would be no way for us to tell without seeing them. Robbins has been a good manufacturer in the past but today, who knows? It sounds to me like the wetness damaged some boards. These can be cut out and replaced but it would not be under warranty. I'm afraid you will probably need to pay for the repair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:28 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Dog/cat urine and the cleaning lady watering the plant have damaged more wood floors then any other trades have combined. But aleast it can be repaired.The scratches are pretty normal + the dog toe nail might not help. No one inspects a floor on there knees except installers y were down there. It probley doesn't look bad from standing up. No defect! GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR FLOOR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:52 pm 
New User

Thanks so much for your reponses. Greatly appreciated. I was just floored (no put intended) when I saw the damage. I had no idea that engeneered flooring could be so delicate. I thought that the floor would be more durable considering the hugh investment. I did a lot of research prior to my purchase and I was aware that it would scratch, but had no idea that even a little water would damage them. It just doesn't seem right, especially when you read and hear that wood floor are durable and will last for years to come....Am I missing something?
I have asked our installer to take a look and although I feel that he is a professional I can't help thinking that I just threw away $5K (for 360 sq. ft.) out the window!!

By the way Gary, I tried to take a picture of the damage but it's hard to see with the pattern of the floor which has a lot of charater.
Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:56 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

There's a very old saying in the hardwood flooring business/trade.
"Wood and water (or urine) don't mix."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:34 pm 
Prized Contributor

There is not on floor covering produced that has a warranty when urine is involved.

If you pet had not pee'd on it, it would not be damaged.

If your dog had pee'd on your wood coffee table, it too would have raised grain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:44 pm 
Worthy Contributor

You'll need to replace the affected boards. Hopefully, you have some left over. If not order another box, and hire your installer to replace them. Cutting those boards out with a power saw.... the thought of it makes me gag. Hot metal and urine. Gaaaackkk! Pay him well.