Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help identifying type of finish
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:22 pm 
New User

I could use some help identifying the type of finish of our floors (bought the house 6 months ago, floors installed by previous owner). As you can see in the below photo, the floors have very little / no gloss (sorry for the weather stripping in the photo, I originally took the picture of it to help me find a replacement stripping). If i run my finger on the wood, I can juuuust feel the grain (if you look closely at the bottom left, you can see that the texture of the grain). Rubbing my finger does not leave a smudge. Putting a drop of water on the wood does not leave a white spot (so, I dont think its a wax finish?).

My guess is that its a no/low gloss polyurethane, right? I ask because I want to ensure I am maintaining them properly. We have cats, and their claws leave very very tiny surface scratches (you can't see them unless you get extremely close to the wood). I'm hoping there's a way to protect against this / minimize these scratches, perhaps with a polish of some sort. Thanks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29762930@N02/10729069916/in/photostream/

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Help identifying type of finish
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:11 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Virtually all floors refisished in recent times are no maintenance, apart from just keeping them clean. Probably a matte oilbased poly. Best bet is to keep dust, and dirt kept to. Minimum, and clean sticky spills completely. Ironically I have found that virtually all products advertised as for wood floors (orange glo, murphy's oil...) will wreck a floors finish in one way or another, either create a haze in the finish or make a film that will trap dirt. just use water and vinegar mixture to clean any spills or mud tracked in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:11 pm 
New User

Ok, thanks. Oil-based poly makes sense. Guess there is nothing I can easily do about those tiny tiny scratches in the surface? (Im mostly worried about longevity, right now the scratches are so small they aren't a problem)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:24 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Proper maintenance makes a buff and coat possible 5-10 years down the road. If you oarange Glo or anything like that a buff and coat would never stick and you would need a complete sanding. Trust me it's much cheaper just to add another coat than to redo it.

Profile E-mail