Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HELP! Installing the last row of a floating floor
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:06 am 
New User

Hello,

I am installing a Bruce engineered wood floor (floating) over concrete in a basement. I am trying to install the last full board, but cannot get the tongue and groove together--- it is seriously driving me insane. I am using a pull bar, a tapping block, and a rubber mallet. I AM DESPERATE FOR IDEAS HERE!!

I have a couple other concerns as well. The floor doesn't lay flat near a sliding glass door. As I am not planning on installing molding or quarter round there, I am concerned that it will never sit flat. I was planning on installing a special transitioin piece that Bruce sells, but it glues to the floor. I am afraid that the floor may pull the transitioin up. Any thoughts?

Finally, I left too much space between the wall and the floor. The quarter round will cover it, but the overlap is quite small. Should I be concerned about this?

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:35 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I've used a wide crowbar (The 1/4" thick x 2" wide style) to help with pressing the last row together. It lets you pry against the wall with a nice even force, rather than the shock force that a pull bar provides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:28 pm 
New User

all you really need to do for the last row is pry and hammer with your mallet...sort of like vibrating it into place. If it aint going in something migth be stuck in the groves or the tongue is damaged.

as for the gap problem.. depending on where the gap is big at sometimes you can shift the whole floor (since it is floating) in the direction you want using your pry bay.

for the trim at the window buy a t molding and rip it in half so that its like an "L" molding on its side. Then you can glue the "L" molding with some construction adhesive to the concrete. oh yeah weigh it down with something heavy until the adhesive is dry. this way you don't have to glue anything to floor.
hope that helps and good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:32 am 
Prized Contributor

Strap clamps(which needs to be used for the whole installation to get compression and a good bond) Along with a slap bar.