Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: help in making a decision
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:22 pm 
New User

I've decided to purchase oak pre-finished hardwood flooring for approx 1,600 sf. I have gone to 2 reputable flooring stores. I started at $10,000 and am now up to $20,000 (mirage). Of course the mirage is beautiful but that's a lot of money. Is something like Bruce really all that bad? The salesmen are not pressuring me but are really leaning towards the Mirage. I plan on living in my house for at least 7 years. I know nothing about this subject and want to feel secure that the job will be done corretly.
Also, Can someone explain the stairs being all wood as opposed to wood on the tread and painted white wood on the riser? Is it cheaper? Is all wood more desirable?

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:47 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

$12.50 a ft. for Mirage installed sounds about right where I come from. As far as wood on stairs, it's a matter of preference whether to have the risers match the tread or to have them painted. Personally, I like the painted risers as they really make the wood stand out. More upkeep however. Really no cost difference if using quality materials. One could use cheap (particle board) for the risers and paint them and save a few bucks but not that much savings. Most of the cost on stairs is in the labor and those ridiculously expensive nosings. Some Bruce products are quite good ( and expensive) but since they offer really low priced stuff too, they have a reputation of inferior quality. Remember, you get what you pay for. This applies to wood floors as well as anything. There are some off brands that are quite good for a savings but you need to hunt them out or ask Ken here. Make sure you go look at some installations from the contractor you are hiring. And talk to some previous clients. Check him out thoroughly. Even the best flooring can be ruined by inexperienced and poor worksmanship.