Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help! Multiple Issues, need direction
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:34 pm 
New User

Hello all. First let me thank everyone ahead of time for what ever information/advice/direction they might be able to give me with my flooring dilemma.

So the background is my main living floor is roughly 1,600 sqf with 4 different hardwood styles (all of matching color and grain), each with a different issue, but unfortunately each impacts the other.

A large portion of the main floor is wide plank that uses screw and plug installation method (I can see the screws penetrating the sub floor in the basement). Over the 40 years since the home was constructed there are now tremendous areas of squeaking as areas where the floor has "domed" (not a board lifted, but an entire area feeling lifted with a slope away). Not sure how to eliminate the squeaking or lifted areas since the floor is already attached to the sub floor and joists. Also in desperate need of a sanding and refinishing.

The second issue is that each of the 3 bedrooms has matching color hardwood floors, but all with 3" boards. 1 bedroom has the same screw and plug installations and is in great shape despite squeaking. 1 bedroom has screw and plug installation but has coin width grooves between every board, which as you can expect have started developing splinters as well as collect dust like crazy. Also a tremendous amount of squeaking. The third bedroom has traditional wood installation (no screw and plugs), but has very slight grooves as well as squeaking.

The final issue is the simplest. The dining/kitchen area had a 3"x10" herringbone pattern installed. Unfortunately all those joints reacted just how you would imagine them to in the areas around the sink/oven/fridge/dish washer. Boards are popping up and it's in a desperate need to be replaced. The straight forward solution would be to rip out the herringbone and replace.

The question becomes how to handle the kitchen issue in conjunction with the others. Sanding and refinishing will help some of the years of wear and tear (but not the bedroom with the large grooves present). I can try to screw down squeaky areas, but with the boards already screwed to the sub floor and joists (most likely in some locations) will that help? Some squeaky areas are in areas where it would have to be top down solution also. Obviously that affects how the refinishing will go. I personally would rip it all out and start over so everything is a perfect match, but from what I can tell the screw/plug issue will be a complete nightmare. I thought about pulling the baseboards and simply floating a new floor on top, but I still need to deal with the "dome" areas.

Thoughts/Question/Condolences graciously accepted. Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Help! Multiple Issues, need direction
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:47 pm 
Prized Contributor

Sorry you have a squeaky floor. Squeaks are from loose fasteners allowing the flooring to move. 8d finish nails into the floor joists will help fasten things down the easiest. If this will not stop the squeaking you could fasten the flooring to the sub-floor with screw from underneath. A loose sub-floor could be the reason for all the squeaks. Just because there are screws don't mean they were tightened securely. If the pilot holes for the screws were not sized right the screws could become tight before the flooring was pressed tight against the sub-floor or the sub-floor may not have been tight to the floor joists. Securing the flooring and the sub-floor to the joists should stop squeaks.
Moisture penetration would most likely be the reason that the flooring is loose in the kitchen. A repair here would be prudent if you have the new material.
Tearing out the whole floor is not that big of a job if you use a saw to cut across the floor just deep enough to cut through the finish floor. Screws should be avoided but the boards will break away so you can remove the screws after all to flooring is popped out with leverage from a strong bar. You will then see if the sub-floor was fastened properly.

Profile E-mail