Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help on Oak Floors!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:40 pm 
New User

I recently sanded my Oak floors using a drum sander first starting with 60, 80, and then 100 grit. I vac the sand dust up then wiped the remaining up with a cloth dipped in mineral spirits. I then applied one thin coat of polyurethane. I then sanded using 220 grit. Applied a second thin coat and sanded again. My final coat I applied using a lambswool applicator 10". I applied it even but it is a little thick. It has been 3 days and the finish is dry to the touch but if you put any pressure on it, it will leave a indention. Do you think the floors will eventually dry all the way through? Please give me any suggestions. Thanks for the time. The temp here is 70 and the humidity is 65%.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:06 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Which brand of poly did you use? Be very specific. What did the label say? I mention this because some typical hardware store brands (like Flecto Varathane, Minwax, Deft, Parks, etc.) have what is called VOC compliant floor finishes. These products are typically sold in gallon cans and will say something like, " High Build Formula, Low VOC's, Fast Drying, etc." The problem is, they have taken some of the solvents that made the finish flow and dry, out to meet VOC regulations. So if the finish is applied a little heavy (hard not to do because it's so thick), it can take days and days to dry. All you can do is wait and place fans on it. Do not turn the heat way up. That will not help. Keep the temperature at the norm, around 70. And just wait it out. I had this happen to me years ago when I tried a Minwax "fast-drying, heavy build" formula. Took a week and a half to dry well enough to buff and coat over.