Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help Please - Lots of Problems
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:10 am 
New User

Help, I just bought a house and had the floors refinished. After the third coat it felt rough to me. I also noticed some hairs, a few swirl marks from the sanding, and some dark stains in places. The floor guy told me the roughness was because he probably went light on the third coat. He said the staining was where the stain went on heavy. He offered to sand and put down a fourth coat which he did. He said everything would look fine although I didn't see how the swirl marks could be taken out. Now the floor feels a little smoother, but there are hairs everywhere. I can easily find 5 or 6 in each room. There is a piece of leaf urethaned in at one point and what looks like fibers in another section. I'm not happy. Please tell me this is not normal. The guy came recommended by several friends who's floors look much nicer. The wood is oak and finish is a matte finish. Is the roughness (a bit like a very fine grit sandpaper) normal? What about the hairs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:06 am 
Prized Contributor

If the hairs are in the top coat a sharp razor knife should take care of them if you are not sure about doing that most o fthe time they will walk off after the floors has a bit of traffic. Now a rough floor that has four coats on is a bit odd, sounds like too many grits were skipped.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:33 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Sounds to me like the guy is a lousy finisher. I can understand a few hairs, especially if there are/were pets. But leaves? I mean, who can't see those? The finish is not supposed to feel rough, EVER! Even with waterbased! Sorry all you excuse makers. If your floors are rough, you're doing it wrong. I think you hired a mediocre, careless finisher who is more interested in getting done than doing a good job. I see it ALL THE TIME. And if he redoes it, it probably would not get better because he lacks the skills, knowledge and desire to perform great work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:20 am 
Worthy Contributor

Is the guy named Joe per chance??? He's the local fella we all follow around here refinishing his jobs. Not sure how he eats with so many jobs peaple refuse to pay for. Oh well ... gotta agree with Gary on this one. Please forgive me for sounding presumtuous ... was he the lowest bid? Did you check at least two reffrences? Have you paid him? Was his name Joe?

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail