Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HELP!! - removal
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:35 pm 
New User

I have really nice hardwood throughout my home, the previous owners had glued down vinyl tile in the hallway :oops: and I'm in the process of ripping it up to try and expose the hardwood underneath. The adhesive isn't completely hardened. It is a bit sticky and I can get some of it up with a putty knife. I would like to know if anyone has advice on a adhesive remover to use to get more of the glue up so that I will be able to sand and refinish. I've looked around online and found JASCO adhesive remover but does anyone know of anything that I can use that isn't too expensive?? Any advice is greatly appreciated, Thanks, MIKE

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:02 pm 
Prized Contributor

Careful of chemical removers, especially if you plan on refinishing.

The sand and finish guys, will throw sand out on the adhesive, put duct tape on the soles of their shoes and get after it with a screen.

The sand, balls up the adhesive, so it just doesn't smear the adhesive. Remove the balls often, and apply more sand.

Remove the duct tape off the soles of your shoes, when you leave the room, so no tracking it everywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:12 pm 
Worthy Contributor

JASCO is famous for screwing up wood in general. Gives what looks like bad mineral stain. Any kind of solvent is not good. You might try Plain chemical paint stripper made for wood. Unless your up to what Perry was describing. I assume you'll be doing (or hiring done) sanding and refinishing ...

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:49 am 
New User

Thanks for the replies, your advice is greatly appreciated. Last night I tried to get it up with old fashioned elbow grease and was only able to clean 3 sq. ft. in 2 hours, but on the good side that part of the floor looks great!

I think that the sand and tape is a good idea just too much for me to do right now. I think I will attempt to use paint remover for wood today and see if I can speed the process. I had a suggestion of mineral spirits from another board and might possibly try that on a small part to see how it goes. Thank you again for the advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:16 am 
Make certain you do not use anything flammable! Keep doors and windows open, get in lots of fresh air when using solvents.