Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help! Sanding Lifts Long Sliver ?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:34 am 
New User

Sanded my soft knotty pine with a square buff 120 screen today. Looking good - EXECPT :
Screen seems to have caught a a bit of wood and lifted a flat sliver of grain. Starts at a point and quickly becomes about an inch wide 3 " to 4 " long - but would continue to much longer if I pulled it up . From wafer thin to a sixteenth almost one eighth deep - but would get deeper if pulled up. Snuggles back in pretty good when pressed down about three quarters of an inch back from where it starts.
Looks like it might be almost okay if I just hammered a cut nail into it. Of coure the characters that put the floor down took the cut nails with them. It's face nailed along with the blind nailing and glue.
Don't want to get into to big a fix 'cause I've got the rented sander here , and it's a task to get it up and down the stairs, into the back seat of the car , etc..
How big a deal/problem are the little ravines in the knots . Should I fill them in with something ?

Any ideas ?

Thanks for any help,

Marty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:55 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Quote:
Snuggles back in pretty good when pressed down about three quarters of an inch back from where it starts.
Looks like it might be almost okay if I just hammered a cut nail into it.

Yep, simple fix. It's called wood glue. Genlty pry up the sliver to be able to get some yellow glue in there. Use a toothpick and Q-tip to work the glue in. Then press down firmly and wipe up all the excess glue with a wet rag. Dry the wood as well as you can then tape down that sliver. The water in the glue will want to cause it to rise up. Wait a couple of hours. Overnight is best. Remove the tape and hand sand the area till smooth as the rest of the floor. You'll need to sand the sliver a little more than the area around it to level it. If done well, you won't be able to see it.
Quote:
How big a deal/problem are the little ravines in the knots . Should I fill them in with something ?

They bother some and some don't care. Whatever finish you are using will seep in and seal them. Typically, knots in flooring are to be sound ( meaning won't come out or loose). You can fill them if you want. Some use clear epoxy. Others use colored wood dough fillers. It's up to you.

Post subject: Thanks Ken
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:10 am 
New User

Got to here around 4 AM . After your post. Least it'll get to dry overnight.

Marty