Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help! Splotchy finish with Bona Mega
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:50 am 
New User

We're doing a full apt renovation and my contractor just finished the floor. We wanted a light natural look--and choose minwax pickled oak stain on new wide plank white oak (6" wide x 5'-13' long). He then put on a coat of Bulls Eye clear shellac followed by 4 coats of Bona Mega.

Sections of the floor have a splotchy appearance (see pic https://ibb.co/kMNHWQ). It is subtle, but definitely noticeable.

Any thoughts on what caused this and what, if anything, can be done?

He also didn't do a great job staining the floor so there are white streaks from areas where he didn't wipe off the stain quickly or completely. Unfortunately, it just doesn't look the way I hoped. It has much more yellow/pink/brown tones than I wanted. I'm guessing I'll have to refinish the whole thing in about 5 years maybe with Bona Nordic seal and then Bona Traffic or Naturale.

Here's a pic of the overall look (the white streaking is in other rooms)

https://ibb.co/dtZEBQ

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Help! Splotchy finish with Bona Mega
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:14 am 
Prized Contributor

After 4 coats of finish have been applied you will have a decen t film build-up. The final coat will give you the gloss level that you choose. It should be an even shine over the whole floor. It may be possible that the finish was not mixed adequately so the satining agent was not dispersed. Over time the shine may become more even with foot traffic. If the gloss level is not even, the quick remedy would be to re-coat the floor. If this is done, I recommend straining the finish through a paint strainer into s separate container, instead of working from the original container.

Profile E-mail