Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:57 am 
New User

Hello,
I need help!!! I'm installing bruce natural reflections. My subfloor is osb and I am stapling it down. I'm using the recommended bostitch stapler with 1" staples. My subfloor has some dips in it. Anywhere form 1/16"-3/16" in a 4 foot span. I have read other posting suggesting roofing shingles. Bruce recommends shims or rosin paper. The paper isn't that thick. I also have had the flooring in my house for 3 days, but I have not checked the moisture level. Is their any suggestions of where to get an indicator? I've asked home stores, rental
stores, a flooring supply place and all they have is a type of chemical kit. I don't have a humidifier on my furnace, but I do plan on installing one before next winter. I've installed a glue-down engineered wood product in the past but not this. I just want to do a good job and have a lasting product. I would appreciate any tips. I am hoping to do this in the next couple days.
I wish I would have found this site sooner.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:27 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

TIPS:
1) Follow the instructions that came with your flooring TO THE LETTER.
2) You can layer that felt paper to make it thicker.
3) Since you are using 1" staples, deep dips (valleys) should be filled with plywood and sanded flush to existing OSB subfloor.
4) The flooring your using is 5/16 think a fairly flexible BUT you subfloor isn't that great and those 18 gauge 1" little staples aren't known for holding that well either so level (flatten) as well as you can.
5) Take your time. UNDERCUT the jambs and casings.

Post subject: bruce natural reflections
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:24 pm 
New User

Gary,

Thanks for the prompt answer. Should i screw the plywood down? I am leaving my baseboards on, and after I install flooring I'm going to put a quarter round on. The instructions state 1st row 3/4" from wall. This is probably a stupid question but should I measure from the drywall or to the baseboard. If i measure to from the baseboard wouldn't that require a really large quarter round? Thanks I really appreciate the time.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:04 pm 
Valued Contributor

" those 18 gauge 1" little staples aren't known for holding that well "

HUH? Those things hold like a freakin bulldog.

You are probably better off just using 15 poound felt to level everything. You can make a quarter inch pretty quick. You might buy a roll of 30 pound to save some time. Shingles under something as thin as NR is a bad idea. You are likely to hear some grit.

Post subject: br
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:52 pm 
New User

chuck,

I sanded the edges of the subfloor so they were even, that did help.
I will try the paper. Once again I'm glad i found this site. Just reading all the Q&A's from everybody has answered alot of questions. I feel more comfortable. Thanks again for replying :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:36 am 
Valued Contributor

I am so stupid! Please forgive me.
OSB always pooches at the side seams. Advantek pooches less than other brands. That "home advantage" stuff will peak so bad I can't even install carpet over it without grinding down the side seams.

I am probably throwing a monkey wrench in your plans with this advice, but I would glue that stuff down. Its gonna make noise if you staple it. Your house is made to move. Adhesive will allow the floor to move along with the house.

Post subject: bnr
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:16 pm 
New User

Chuck,

Sorry it took so long to reply.
Thanks for the wrench. I will take that into consideration. Once again
I want to thank you guys for the advice.
Pete