Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help! Uneven stain and missed puttying
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:54 am 
New User

My red oak 2 ¼” floors were sanded and stained yesterday. The floors were a combination of new and existing. All of the existing floors are in excellent condition, tight and no stains. I installed all of the new flooring and hired a professional to sand stain and finish everything else.

The floors were sanded, puttied and stained yesterday. I see a lot of imperfections in the stain. In one area in particular of existing, I see what appears to be subtle lap marks from the drum sander stopping and starting. This was a narrow area and he was unable to take long passes. The wood is completely smooth without swirls but the stain absorbed differently in the lap area. Another issue is that he completely missed puttying any face nailed boards on the new floors.

The stain was Bona FastDri Provincial and the finish is going to be 3 coats of Bona Traffic satin. Before he puts the Traffic on, I want to know what corrective measures need to be done.

Can he putty, re-sand the areas and then re-stain and have it blend into the areas that are ok?

Thanks for any suggestions. He is supposed to come today to apply the Traffic.

Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:58 am 
Prized Contributor

Now would be the time to address the issues you have with the floor, calmly explain you concerns and it souldnt be that big of a deal at all. I think what you are calling lapping are acually drum marks and those can be scraped out and restained if they are not excessive. Filling a few nailholes will only take a few minitues as well no biggie.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail