Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: help!!!--used Mega instead of Traffic--is it too late?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:50 pm 
New User

We are havingsome hardwood floors refinished.We met with the refinisher and I told him we wanted to use Bona Traffic on top of the stain. He said OK but just commented that it was expensive. Came home yesterday and saw that they were putting down Bona Mega instead of the Traffic. Called him about it and got some lame excuse about how he couldn't get it. He had already put down 2 coats of the Mega. He indicated he could get the Traffic today and would put down two coats of that on top of the Mega. Is this a problem? Right now I'm just concerned about how it is going to look and we will deal with the pricing afterward. Plus, I am not sure he put down a sealer after the stain. Should we resand and start all over?

Thanks for any tips and advice anyone can offer.

NIck

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:58 pm 
Worthy Contributor

you can top coat it with traffic no problem, they are both water based finishes, made by the smae company even. No need to worry about it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:06 pm 
New User

thanks for the response. I read somewhere that the mega finish needs to cure before the traffic is put down, what do you think? Also, is there any concern if a sealer was not used?

Thanks,

NIck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:04 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Quote:
thanks for the response. I read somewhere that the mega finish needs to cure before the traffic is put down, what do you think? Also, is there any concern if a sealer was not used?

That would be in an ideal world and BONA has never given an answer that made sense to me. In this case, MEGA is the "sealer". Even Traffic is NOT supposed to be used with Bonaseal when applying it over stain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:24 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Well as gary said, BONA doesnt have an offical stand on this. I would imagine that if you applied it and there was a problem with adheasion etc, they would have a side lol.

I know traffic cures at 50% ater 48hrs, and 100% in 7 days. For waterbase 99% of my jobs I use traffic not mega, So I am unsure what the cure time is, But I have succesfully put traffic over stain, bare wood, bona seal, emulsion, and mega with success all coat jobs the following day. Ive even put bona quick dry stain, then a coat of traffic, followed by a buffing and a final coat of traffic all in one day.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:31 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Traffic is a pretty forgiving finish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:19 pm 
New User

Thanks for all the comments--i feel much better now; although we are not all that pleased with the color. I think the tint in the mega may have made the floors come out darker than we had wanted--that was one of the reasons I was going with the traffic (it's clear).

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:36 pm 
Worthy Contributor

the color diffence between the 2 is not noticable IMO, the mega has a small yellow tint to the whiteness of it, while traffic is just plain white. clear when dry

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: 30 year finish
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:02 pm 
Newbie Contributor

save time and money next time, get every living creature out for a week and use moisture-cure.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:58 am 
New User

I've put Traffic over mega for years, never a problem. In fact this is my prefered system of coating, 1 coat shellac, 2 coats mega, 1 traffic. Used it on my own floor a couple of years ago, still looks awsome.

Aaron

Post subject: Re: 30 year finish
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:24 am 
Worthy Contributor

BestFlooringWI wrote:
save time and money next time, get every living creature out for a week and use moisture-cure.

Easier said than done. We considered it, but it was too problematic logistically.