Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help Me with Layout ideas
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:39 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

We ripped up all the carpet on the first floor and want to do hardwood. I installed, sanded and finished for over 10 years that was 15 years ago. Here is my Sketch. I was thinking of 2-1/4" oak with a double feature strip running around the entire layout. Starting with about 3 or 4 rows then starting the feature. The hall only being 3 feet wide the feature strip will be pretty close and a double I feel will be on top of each other. Because of the jogs I don't see how I can just do one room without some weird angles. The next thought was a picture frame feature strip in the middle of the living room and the dinning room. No ideas on the size but then the rest of the flooring will just be ran regular. I'm looking for an ideas, or thoughts. I know it's a personal preference on the design but just seeing if anyone comes up with something different/ unique. https://www.dropbox.com/s/pj74i5lbgosur ... 6.JPG?dl=0

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Help Me with Layout ideas
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:38 am 
Prized Contributor

My thoughts on borders and feature strips come from seeing traditional architecture. A relatively narrow border will be hardly noticed with furniture in place. It looks better to have at least an 8 board border so a book shelf or end table will not cover the feature strip. I sometimes see a heater vent interrupting the feature strip which looks poorly planned. The border and feature strip high lights the shape of the room. It takes more craftsmanship to install a border, so show it off without having furniture cover it
I would not run a double feature strip in a hall. The feature strip dresses up a room. Who wants to dress up and emphasize the shape of a hall?

Profile E-mail