Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Herringbone T&G Routing
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:03 am 
New User

I’m installing about 500sq ft of T&G white oak herringbone unfinished ¾ flooring (3”x18” stapled in place). The herringbone fits together very well, but I plan to edge cut the floor in place and run a one foot strip flooring frame around the edge. I would like to router a grove in place to the installed floor, for the joint to the 4” Strip flooring. I don’t want to surface nail the strip if possible. The routing would be in about 125 feet angler cut end grain wood. Has anyone routed ¾ inch oak flooring in place? What problems can I expect? I wanted to use biscuits, but lack clearance around the wall. Thanks! :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:36 am 
Prized Contributor

thats how it is normally done. measure, measure and measure one more time. Try not to put any staples where you plan on running the router. many guys out there use a circular saw to do this as well, it takes some precision but is fairly basic. once you cut your ends off square go back with a router and put a groove into the flooring, put a spline/slip tounge in and you are ready to finish up. you can blind nail with a finish nail gun into the toungs of the boards as you approch the wall where space doesnt allow the stapler to go. the final rows you just can glue and top nail where the trim will cover. good luck. sounds nice!

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:03 am 
Prized Contributor

Just to add to what Kevin said you will need to use a top bearing 1/4" slot cutter when routing on the floor.

On the splines I will use a scrap piece of flooring to keep the splines at the proper angle as i blind nail them. Sometimes they fit a little loose and will angle down and make the borders not fit right.

If you are using a regular circular saw to cut the field you can score the line with a sharp razor knife to help prevent chipping. If you have the Festool saw and guides you won't need to do that.

Profile E-mail