Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 5" Hickory Plank install
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:19 am 
Hello, I am going to install 5 inch wide Hickory plank over Advantec floor which is at least 3/4 inch thick, OSB type floor . This is a new Log Home. The problem is the floor joists are running the same direction that I want to run the wood floor. Do I need to put down another layer of plywood, if so how thick? The wood floor is made by Somerset and they recommend 2 inch fasteners as well as using a urethane flooring adhesive. What is the best brand of adhesive to use?

Thanks in advance.

CharlieA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:22 pm 
Prized Contributor

You certainly have a major job on your hands.

Another layer of plywood will help.

They recommend adhesive too, because of the wide plank. Maybe Somerset has the required glue? It is their flooring and their specs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:34 pm 
To be on the safe side, I'd install 1/2" CDX over your subfloor if you want to run the flooring in the same direction as the trusses/joists. Staple the 1/2" down using 15 gauge staples with 1/2" crowns and 1&1/2" legs in a 6" grid; or screw down and glue. I find stapling fast and effective. Usually, solid plank floors are only nailed except when they are very wide or an unstable wood. Since Somerset calls for gluing also, you should use the glue they recommend so IF you have problems, you can document that you followed their instructions. I cannot stress this enough. Floor failures are sometimes caused by installer error, failing to follow directions that come with the flooring. If you document (with photos and materials receipts) how you installed the floor using their directions, IF you have a problem, they will not be able to cite installer error.