Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hollow spots gone, will they return?????
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:37 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Guy's,
This is a continuation of my first post. We had about seven hollow spots to fix. One of the large ones was torn out and re-glued. The others were filled with a few small holes and glue. It was done today and we'll see how they feel tomorrow.
My question is, since they never "flashed the floor level", can these hollow spots return in a few months, years? And if they do, can we just refill them. I am afraid of ending up with a floor that doesn't "stick". I don't want to pay this guy and have a huge problem in a few years. What do you think? Once the hollow spot is filled, will the glue hold it down?
Donna :?:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:25 am 
Prized Contributor

You should be alright. That glue is not going to debond.

If you still have some hollow spots you have not found yet, don't mistake them for areas releasing later. They were always there and you just missed them.

Pay the guy and let him know he got an education not to use that glue again, and to attempt so floor prep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:47 pm 
Newbie Contributor

We found a area that has creaking, popping when you walk on it. It's about a 6x9' area. We also found more small hollow spots. I had some new guy's over to give me an estimate on my other hardwood install. They looked at this floor and I could tell they were afraid to tell me all the problems they found. They said the area that is creaking, means that the glue is releasing. they said injecting that large an area will not fix the problem.
We ordered more wood and are going to tear out that area and replace it. It is a high traffic area near a sliding door. The smaller areas we are going to fill. I don't think he's filling them properly though, cause I told him to drill a release hole and he said he doesn't need one. Also, he didn't put the dowels in the holes to plug them.
The installers are coming back to look at the floor again. If he fixes these areas, should we be OK. If the floor is going to cup, when will that happen. I live in Chicago and it was raining during the install.
Donna

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:07 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Quote:
I live in Chicago and it was raining during the install.

I am verry sorry to here that. I am begining to wonder if this is one guy or if Chicago just has the worst installers in the world. I think I would get tile if I lived in chicago. I think it high time to have a "So you live in Chicago sticky" kind of like the plywood vs OSB one.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:23 pm 
Prized Contributor

Sure does sound like all the installers up in Chi-town all learned from the same Hack. Passing down how to be a Hack to all the help along the way. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:33 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Guy's
I'm really upset about this floor. It's a huge finacial expense and I was really anticipating a beautiful floor. Is there anything I should do to correct these problems and head off any future problems? :cry:
Donna

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:37 pm 
Prized Contributor

Do you want me to tell you what you want to hear, or the no BS, this is how it is, lecture??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:04 am 
Newbie Contributor

Floorguy,
At this point I doubt I would rip up the whole floor and start over again. If in your opinion that is the ONLY solution, tell me. I would like to try and replace the damaged sections and fill the smaller sections. I know it was raining, will that cause problems later?
You can tell me the truth, but try and be gentle how you say it. If you think starting over is the only solution, you can tell me. This is my ex-husbands floor, but I did the job. He is not willing to start over, unless I tell him the floor will only get worse in time. I spoke to a floor inspector on the phone. We could have him come out and give us his opinion, but he can't come out for several weeks.
Please tell me the most practical solution that will fix my problems and prevent future problems.
I'm in London right now, so I may not get back to you right away,
Thank you so much for helping me.
Donna :?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:39 am 
Prized Contributor

I would ask the original installer, what he plans to do to resolve your concerns, and make the installation up to manufacturers requirements.

If he is not willing to make the needed corrections, then hire somebody that will. Some will come in and try to patch, some will want to remove it all and start over, so they can warranty the entire floor and have their name on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:32 am 
Worthy Contributor

To add to what Perry is saying. Someone new coming in has to put their name on that floor. Once you take some other guys mess it becomes your mess. You are now responsible for the entire floor not just the areas you patched. Many “Knowledgeable” installers are going to look at the risk / reward and either charge you accordingly or require a complete removal to put their name on it. Sitting in my position if I walked in on your problem here are the options I would give you:

1. Patch the floor no warranty. I take chalk outlined pictures of the areas to patch, I patch them, I warranty only those boards.

2. Patch the floor with warranty. You pay me to do a full inspection and repair of the floor. I do this at an hourly rate and I give you no top end as I don’t know how long it will take to identify every problem and repair it. You pay me to discover everything and then I present you with a total of what it will further take to get the floor up to where I will put my name on it. The end result may be scraping it. In which you pay me the discovery time and now for replacement.

3. Replace the floor. Set price, set time-frame.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:08 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Guy's,
The original installer used subcontractors, but he is also an installer. He said that he would fix the floor himself, to our satisfaction. He said that he would rip out the bad area 6x9 and replace the boards. They used Sika glue, and I'm afraid that the concrete will come up with the floor. Any other hollow spots would be drilled and filled.
I don't want to make this a new installers problem.
My questions to you are, knowing all that you know about my problems, what would you do to repair this floor if you were the installer? Give me your best advice.
Thanks,
Donna

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:19 am 
Prized Contributor

If the original installer is going to make adequate repairs on his dime and give you a full warranty, I would let him try it. The understanding must be spelled out, clear as a bell ,that if you are not completely satisfied he will have to replace the whole floor. Both party's need to know this beforehand.

I don't see a problem with the concrete coming up unless there was a patching agent applied over parts of it. You don't have gypcrete do you???

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:25 am 
Newbie Contributor

Jerry,
I'll have to ask about the concrete. Thank you for the advice about a written warranty. How many years should the warranty be written for?
What should I have spelled out? Since it was raining during the install, should they warranty against cupping?
I am doing my own floor on June 16th. I was planning on hiring the same guy, but not anymore. There is a large installer in Chicago who I interviewed. I found two of his sub-contractors who six months ago started their own business. They mostly install Mirage floors. They came over and I told them about the other floor. They said they do moisture testing as well as testing the subfloor. How can I check them out? I do not want the same problems. Should I ask for referrences? They are brothers and do all the work themselves. I don't trust my judgement anymore, as I chose the other guy.
Donna

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 4:17 pm 
New User

replace or repair?
Less than 5% of the floor with problems? Repair.
Over 5%? replace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:31 am 
Prized Contributor

Absolutely, always, always, always get references and check them out. You may have found two real good installers here. :)

Profile E-mail