Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: home inspectors
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:09 am 
Prized Contributor

Well guys, I find myself in need of some advice.
Apparently up here in the Toronto area at least, in order to become a home inspector (not flooring inspector) all you need is the bucks for the license.
I have been away a few days, and in my absence, one of our installs was inspected by a home inspector for a potential home buyer.
This is a relatively new house, and as such the floor slightly cupped due to the speed at which these tract houses are built. This is normal for us, and the floors almost always flatten during the first heating season and have no further problems.
Recently we have greatly reduced the incidence of cupping by adding "Vapour-Lok" under all first floor installations, but this one was installed just prior to this change in our procedure.
Still no biggie, we are confident that the problem is self-correcting.
This is the problem:
This "highly qualified" home inspector has indicated in his report to the prospective purchaser: "the flooring installed in this house was milled upside down".
He even removed a vent cover and photographed the end of a board to emphasise his point.
Anyone ever heard of such a thing?
I should mention that he found all sorts of defects in this home, not just the upside down flooring.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: home inspectors
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:58 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Well, that's just laughable. And quite easy to defend. If he had said the floor was cupped and needed replacing or refinishing, then you would have had a more difficult time defending yourself. But saying the flooring was installed upside down? If it's a prefinished floor, then that's even easier to defend. Simply show the client, that the finish only goes on top. And since there IS finish on top of the floor in the home, it was obviously installed correctly. For a site finished floor, simply show those deep grooves that are milled into the backside of the floor. This "inspector" is obviously ignorant, of floors at least. Furthermore, he is shooting himself in the foot. By finding so many so-called "defects", he is killing the deal. No realtor will recommend a deal killer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:20 pm 
Prized Contributor

Well how I read his report, he meant the floor was milled upside down, and alludes to the "heartside" of the boards should face downwards, or upwards, or some such nonsense.
I believe he is referencing outdoor decking material and trying to apply it to interior construction.
Anyway, in response to my rather acidic comments to him, he has backpedalled and asked if I would spend some time teaching the expert, so to speak, go figure.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:11 pm 
Prized Contributor

Rather acidic comments ? :lol: Your a true gentelman Dennis ! You obviously handled it right, he's willing to learn.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:12 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Quote:
and alludes to the "heartside" of the boards should face downwards, or upwards, or some such nonsense.

Yeah, I've read over the years how deck boards are supposed to be installed with the annual growth rings facing down. The concept behind this thinking is the the boards will cup with the curve of the growth rings. So by facing them down, you'll get crowning instead of cupping. Is that supposed to be better? I guess so for an exterior deck if you want it to shed water easily. Of course, none of this plays a factor in KD hardwood flooring.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:52 pm 
Prized Contributor

Had a home inspector tell my client the berber seam was visable cus the fill prtion was backwards, jeez. Then another told a guy trying to buy my old house he should test for radon gas. Well hell the is no damn radon gas out here lol

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail