Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to achieve a near flawless, smooth final coat?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:44 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Hi guys just wanted to see what tips and tricks contractors out there use for executing as flawless as a final coat possible (no swirls, no flashing, no debris or hairs in finish etc)

I will share some of my tips below and would appreciate feedback as well and hope we can all benefit from each others knowledge in this thread.

1. We start our in-between buffing in closets and corners with lower lighting to wear down the aggressiveness of new abrasives and work perimeter before buffing center. This is to avoid visible unsightly swirls.

2. We clean all buckets and pails with solvents prior to adding new batch of finish. (We strain used finish as well)

3. Buff and vacuum quickly, kill about 20-40 mins then vacuum again once dust has settled.

4. Tack floors with tack clothes.

5. Stomp our feet and dust ourselves off as much as we can outside before entering the home again.

Basically I want to know how it you guys out there pull off those beautiful, almost furniture finish coats?

Are there any guys out there that wait 1 full day to let fine dust settle before going back and applying final coat? For the record we roll our poly with a mohair and roll water with an Aboretic roller

(I know we're not supposed to say furniture finish in the flooring industry as we can't control our environment but you guys know what I mean?)

Amish made hardwood