Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: how to bid
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:51 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I have a bid tp sumbit for a rather unusual job. Its a very large house and has what look like large circular turetts in the front each of these circlular tower type things is a large room. My bid will be for one of these rooms. its a huge circular room 20 foot across. The drawings call for 3 1/2" Plank with an 8 pointed star set in the middle, this star will run from wall to wall, with a 2 foot circle in the center made of an inner an outer band and four large points extendeing to the wall made with 2 different species of hardwood. It will have 4 smaller points extending from under the the longer points and extending halfway into the room. Not sure if I am making this clear or not. anyway, I not concerned about making the star or setting it just about where this bid should be. This is a massive home and other rooms will have herringbone with an apron and some parquet and some mixed media, it even calls for hardwood in the elevator with a border.
I feel the bid should be high as this star will be custom made on site. What would you bid.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:24 am 
Worthy Contributor

Don’t know if it helps but I usually charge $30 a sq ft for custom inlay work. So on a 20 ft circumference room you would have 314 ft (10 * 3.14 * 10 = 314) so at 314 it would be $9420. The real question is how intricate is the work that really affects the overall price. If it is just a few cuts then it is hard to justify $30 a sq ft., on the other side of the coin if it is lattice work or floral inlay then it’s hard to make a profit even at $30 a sq. ft. Remember a prefab 5 ft medallion would cost them in the area of $3000 + labor so depending on the size of the inlay I would scale up from that price.

Profile E-mail