Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How do i change paper on a Clarke American 8?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:57 am 
New User

I've only used a machine where its a circular paper and slides right on. thiss one i need to use a flat paper that isnt connected at both ends and i dont know how to put the paper on. can anyone tell me how im supposed to put it in? heres a picture of the sander drum i found online:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:33 pm 
Prized Contributor

You are going to need a template to cut the paper or you can also buy them precut to fit. There is a learning curve to putting on the paper on a drum. Too tight and the paper will blow once the drum heats up and expands. Too loose and its chatter city. The two bolts in either side of the drum turn to cam lock the paper, you may need a small shim behind the edge folds for a snug fit.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:35 am 
New User

that looks like my front line machine. two inportant things to remember: 1 the paper has to be cut to fit, with the proper angles; 2 any paper 1 grit (50) or finer needs to be shimmed. use a cut off piece or a used piece of floor paper ( about an 1 1/2 wide x 8"). snugg up paper and you should be good to go. If you have problems keeping the paper on you might have a bad drum. You would then need to send it to someone to have it recovered)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:13 am 
Newbie Contributor

I would have hated to try and learn how to put paper on a drum without someone showing me. I have been doing it for a pretty long time and still have a problem every so often. There is a trick to it for sure. I guess to add to what has already been said maybe I could go to what to do if and or the inevitable happens and you blow a paper or three . if you dont blow one your a better man than I and my hats off to ya . But if you do make sure you sweep up the grit thats going to be all over the place you dont want to hit it when you go for it again , check the clean out thats on the side take it off and make sure no paper is stuck in the body it will clog up and the vacum will not work worth a damn also chek the tube that goes off the body to the bag or to your vacum line either way it the same tube. check behind the drum for paper its another spot it can and does hide even after I have looked I found it there before. In other words make sure you find as much of the paper as you can . The way I check to make sure my paper is on right is to check each side of the paper where it goes into the drum it should not be loose and try not to crush the rubber at the corners either. Thats my 2 cents and as usual worth about half that . Maybe . have a good one all

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:53 pm 
New User

thanks everony, i ended up printing out the instructions and finally got it. i had to dig the old paper that was on it out of the trash and use it to cut the new piece. then i got it after ruining about 4 pieces. its still a pain in the ass.

is there somewhere online where i can buy the template?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:28 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Is there no where you can BUY paper for this sander?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:59 pm 
New User

SK Olson wrote:
Is there no where you can BUY paper for this sander?

i already have the paper, as i said i figured it out but it would be a lot easier with the template (right now im taking an old piece thats close and cutting one similiar).

the problem is when you buy the paper for this it comes in a long roll and you have to cut each piece as you use it. im going to eventually switch to a ez8 sander.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:00 pm 
New User

I got my templete from a local welder. I just took an old sheet of paper up; he layed it on a peice of metal and cut it. I by my rolls from Essex Silverline (by the roll). I cut about 25 at a time. when i get down to 4or 5 i just recut a few more ect. The fun ones are the 7" disks. Once in a while, if i run short of the premade disks, i cut my own. Anyway, I have 2 american 8s, (circa1959). and have sanded many, many floors with them.

PS watch the nails in the floor, They like to eat paper.(and drums)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:14 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

That's what I like about my Hummel belt sander. Yes, the belts cost more than roll paper, no doubt. But the ease of switching paper and grits is worth it to me. I was using a 12" drum sander occasionaly and hated it when I spent the time cutting the paper, loading and shimming it on the drum and wrenching it on; then only to sand a few feet before it blows up into a million pieces. :x Then you get to do it all over again plus clean up the paper grit which blew all over the floor as well. It's enough to ruin anyones day. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:21 am 
Prized Contributor

Its a pisser for sure, floorstlye sells the template I think it was about 50.0 or 60.00 if i remember right. I used to buy precut sheets from johnson abrasives to fit I am sure they are still around.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:07 pm 
Newbie Contributor

3m makes cut sheets only thing about cut sheets is if the drum has been dressed then the sheets can be to long and they wont go tight. Just cut a bit off and adjust paper to make the folds same as normal . If your drum has not been dressed then it should be the machine will cut faster and flater. To dress a drum is easy. Put a piece of paper on the floor , used 100 works great , stand on the outside edges of the paper so it wont move . Face the machine backwards roll drum between legs and over paper and sloly lower the drum till it barely hits the paper. this is great stuff if you happen to be unluck enough to hit something and cut a grove in your drum . A drum can be dressed several times but should not need be often . Have a good one glad to hear it went all right for you .

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How do i change paper on a Clarke American 8?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:29 pm 
New User

So many issues. We just got this at a yard sale and bought a roll of paper. I cut it shove one end in. Roll it around the drum. Then try to add the other 1/2 in. Usually doesn't work and rips up within the first 1-2 minutes.

Any one have a link on YouTube for a step by step?

Profile E-mail