Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: how to finish raw cedar plank floors?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:54 pm 
New User

I am a flooring newbie and have no idea where to start. My father recently passed away and in clearing out his garage, my husband and I found a little over 1,000 square feet of cedar tongue and groove planks, 7inches wide by 8 feet long. It is gorgeous! We were adding on an office space and play room and although we were warned cedar is a soft wood, it was my dads (probably 20 years old from when he built his home) and therefore reminiscent of him and we wanted it in our home.

This weekend I laid all the flooring, both rooms equal just over 250 square feet. However now that the floor is down, I need some guidance on how to move forward. I need to sand it, but after that what is the best way for me to go about sealing it? I want to best finish, water protection/sealer etc. I have been advised everything from tung oil to polyurethane. Ideas, advice? Thank you!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: how to finish raw cedar plank floors?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:34 am 
Valued Contributor

You mentioned that you want to use water .If so, Basic coatings and Bona are probably the two best in the business.

Basic coatings has the hydroline sealer and their best finish is Street Shoe. Bona has a couple different sealers ,Bonaseal and DTS . I would not recommend using Bonaseal but their DTS is excellent. Bona's best waterbased finish is Traffic.

With Basic coatings, you will spend a bit less money and with Bona, there will be more cost but their traffic finish is definitely tougher and perhaps richer looking than Basic Coating's Street Shoe.

So , once you settle on a product, you should apply one sealer coat and two finish coats.You can do additional finish coats if you like.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:44 pm 
New User

You might want to look at this product from Ciranova called Ecofix:
Water based impregnation oil for parquet and wooden furniture. In particular for interior where a natural finish is needed.

There are two different variations Natural and Woodlook. This is amazing stuff, we have done a few samples against other products and Ecofix is really the most natural looking color we could get.

We have just started importing this along with Ciranova's range of other products from Belgium.

Have a look here:

ciranova-na.com/collections/02-finish-protection

Daniel

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

Daniel:

Nice to see you around, but let's spend more time assisting than promoting.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail