Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How long before re-finishing is needed?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:22 pm 
New User

I am looking at getting Santos Mahogany flooring. Leaning towards engineered. It is a 9 ply with 3mm wear layer. 7 coats of aluminum oxide, and 25 year warranty, 3 1/2 x 5/8. Does this mean the finsh should not really need re-finishing for 25 years? Is it worth paying the extra for a solid Santos? If the finish on both may last 20 years or more, and I can re-finish the engineered once or maybe twice, why pay more for the solid? So I can get more than 60 years use of the floor? I'll be long gone by then. Is the solid version better in some other way than being able to re-finish it more times? Looks like the engineered is more stable than a solid and costs less. Please help. I'm getting a little confused.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:46 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Often times, solid prefinished flooring will have some longer lengths, but not always. If you can get a quality engineered floor with a good wear layer and a solid sawn face veneer (not rotary peeled veneer) for less cost than a comparable solid floor, then go for it. It will usually be more stable than solid and some engineered floors have better milling. About the finish. The warranties are filled with loopholes so don't rely on them to determine the life of a floor. If you are getting a quality made floor with an aluminum oxide finish, that should last ten yrs. minimum in a normal residential application. Higher traffic areas may need attention sooner and floors that are well maintained may not require anything for that entire 25 yr. warranty. This is not to say that there may be some signs of wear but that it still should be a very servicible floor.

Post subject: refinishing
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:20 am 
New User

Thanks for your advice. Think I'll go with the engineered santos,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:39 am 
Valued Contributor

9 ply?
Don't know if this is good or bad.