Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How long does it take to blend Braz. Cherry after fading?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:35 pm 
New User

OMG! Today, I went to vacuum underneath the runners I put down after my prefinished Brazilian Cherrywood floor were installed 4 months ago in my living room and kitchen, and was shocked at the color discrepancy between the end of the runners and the non-covered part of the floor. It seems 3 color registers (whatever that means) lighter under the runners. I freaked, and left an angry voicemail at my flooring retailer's. Then I remebered to come here and ask; is this normal? Will it blend back eventually over time? And how much time?

If I let the floors darken over time sans runners, will the darkening stabilize after a few years and stop darkening, then I can put my runners back down again? Or...sheesh...not being able to use runners to protect the doorway area from outdoor grit coming inside, and the kitchen area from normal abuse?

I wish I investigated this more before I chose the Brazilian. Thank you.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:03 pm 
Prized Contributor

You mean the salesman didn't educate you about the characteristics of brazilian cherry floors, before the sale, because he was affraid to lose a sale? Unheard of!! :lol: I bet they told you exactly what you wanted to hear, and not the truth!! Sales!! :shock:

It will eventually blend, but may take some time, as the uncovered part has a head start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:18 pm 
New User

Floorguy wrote:
You mean the salesman didn't educate you about the characteristics of brazilian cherry floors, before the sale, because he was affraid to lose a sale? Unheard of!! :lol: I bet they told you exactly what you wanted to hear, and not the truth!! Sales!! :shock:
It will eventually blend, but may take some time, as the uncovered part has a head start.

My company has been around since my grandpa started it in 1924, we are rated by a leading periodical as one of the top 100 in the country in what we do (retail). I called one of my guys today and told him the story; his comment was 'we are the only ones who care about our customers'. He was exaggerating of course, but in our day to day experience, it is quite true. We agonize about 'doing the right thing' for our clients.

It is a lost art, and it is an art. I was taught it by two generations ahead of me. I don't expect it anywhere I go anymore these days. We are in a time of Caveat Emptor. And it's getting worse every day. If you do it you are a shining light in a dark tunnel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:14 am 
Prized Contributor

I missed something???

Is this your personal home, or are you a flooring retailer and installation company? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:15 am 
New User

Floorguy wrote:
I missed something???
Is this your personal home, or are you a flooring retailer and installation company? :oops:

Leave it to me to throw a wrench in by accident...hehe...this is my personal floor. I am a fine men's clothing retailer. I was just adding to your comments about my flooring retailer not filling me in thoroughly on BC's characteristics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:57 pm 
Valued Contributor

THe Cherry is doing what it's going to do. Simply remove the rugs and allow floor to blend in color. It's common knowledge about B. CHerry concerning color change so maybe the salesman did tell you but you did not hear it or maybe he did not inform you of this natural characteristic.
But, no matter......... the fix is easy......... simply remove the rugs and allow air/light to the floor and all will be well soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:00 pm 
New User

Ray Darrah wrote:
THe Cherry is doing what it's going to do. Simply remove the rugs and allow floor to blend in color. It's common knowledge about B. CHerry concerning color change so maybe the salesman did tell you but you did not hear it or maybe he did not inform you of this natural characteristic.
But, no matter......... the fix is easy......... simply remove the rugs and allow air/light to the floor and all will be well soon.

Already on it, thanks for the replies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:52 pm 
Newbie Contributor

So does this mean you can't use area rugs with Brazilian Cherry? Or that you need to let it "cure" for a while before covering up any parts of it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:42 am 
Site Admin

Bobby Jo:

Move area rugs frequently the first 12 months. All hardwood floors change color to some extent with Brazilian Cherry and others being more pronounced. You may want to look at our hardwood flooring species page to get an idea which ones change more than others. Images shown on our site aren't perfect science, but I know of no other site that offers the mention of color changes as much as ours.

http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwo ... pecies.htm

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:42 am 
Prized Contributor

I have told people plain and simple about what to expect in B.CHerry and then still have them call back on occasion about the color change. Often by the time the floor is ordered in, installed, and sanded the homeowner has so many other things going on with the house they forget all about hte color change. I always tell customers what to expect, I have had many people go with other woods because of this, but hey were a satisfied customer in the end, thats whats going to perpetuate sales not rooking people.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:29 am 
Worthy Contributor

I know this is an old thread ... and not much is needed to add ... but I couldn't resist 8)

I have found homes with less natural (sun) light to be less phased by the photosensativity (now theres five bucks!) of BC.

I have also discovered, though I'm not a huge fan of water borne finish, that some of the high end brands of H2O finish have excellent UV protection and have witnessed proof on a very well sun beaten room with BC that they work very well.

I'm suprised, though I do mostly site finished, that a prefin product would have such a dramatic reaction because most are finished with the latest and greatest super razoo finishes with aluminum, titanium, and UV protection are they not??

Oh well, mother nature and wood species characteristics triumphs over pre fin once again....

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail