Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How many coats of finish for high traffic area?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:28 pm 
New User

We have a 240 sq ft area of pine that we're refinishing. It's pretty much beat to hell right now. We have 2 dogs, one of them large and excitable, and we're not as good as we should be at clipping her nails.

I have quotes from two people, one that will uses Traffic as the finish and one that will use StreetShoe. From reading the message board it sounds like they're both good choices. The Traffic guy quoted me for a stain/sealant plus 2 coats of Traffic. The StreetShoe guy says to use 3 coats.

My question is, is 2 coats of Traffic enough? Is there any downside to putting on a third coat? Will it delay the inevitable recoating any?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:02 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Traffic is more durable that street shoe. It’s pretty much the strongest stuff on the market. 2 coats should be ample on a recoat.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:24 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

I agree. Some will say they're equal but that isn't the truth. Traffic is more scratch resistant. There is no downside to applying three coats. Bona calls for only two coats in a residence but three in a commercial application. Bona also expects a spread rate of 350 sq.ft. per gal., which I find difficult to do without puddles. In residences, I apply three coats at 500 sq.ft. per gal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:38 am 
New User

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:06 am 
Newbie Contributor

I agree with the comments above. With regard to a 3rd coat, I tell my customers that a 3rd coat buys them insurance. Whether you have 2 coats, or 10, the the top layer of finish wears the same, and the floor will show the same amount of wear. The additional coat extends the time that it takes for the the finish to wear through to the wood.

This is important, beacuse as long as the finish isn't worn through, it can be recoated. A much faster, and less expensive process than sanding & refinishing. Either way works.

Keeping the floors clean, and clipping those nails will go a long way toward extending the life of your floor's finish.
Pete

Profile E-mail