Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How many tapcons per sheet of ply would you use?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:08 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Going to be installing 3/4" T&G CDX ply over a slab soon (with poly underneath). I use tapcons to fasten the ply to the slab. The room is probably about 250 sqft.

I've done this before and If I remember, i think i used like 12 fasteners per sheet of ply (4 on each edge and 4 in the field). Does that seem right? When I was done, I remember thinking that it might have been overkill, especially considering that the Ply was T&G. Pre-drilling and sinking all of those tapcons is time consuming, so if I can cut back on the number without risking anything I'd sure like to.

Just for the sake of mentioning it, i'll be installing 3/8" pre-finished oak over the ply later on. Have already through this in a couple rooms, now it's time to do the Den.

Any thoughts?

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: How many tapcons per sheet of ply would you use?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

Why T&G? I know it's used in some regions but fastened to concrete? I've never seen it. There's always been debates on this subject. I recall some job specs calling for 32! One per square foot. Imagine doing that on 2,000 SF :cry:

Most of those nightmarish plywood jobs I handled in the past were more like 24 per sheet. To keep things in check it would be nice to know what you did before as you could get a sound and feel underfoot difference, but you're probably going to be the only one to notice it.

12 does sound weak, but...

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail