Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How often do you Grind concrete
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:01 am 
New User

Hey guys - I'm the Production Mgr at a floor covering company in Phx. We have about 10 wood crews working for us. There seems to be a huge difference of opinion on how much grinding is needed on concrete subfloors here. Most our guys do not have a hand grinder and expect an outside company to come in and grind the floor. Then that creates the problem of our guys coming back and saying the grinder didn't do a good enough job and they always want them to come back for a 2nd or even 3rd time.
It seems to me to avoid lost time a good wood installer would be able to grind the high spots and level the low spots on his jobs. Is this correct??

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:14 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

IMO, whether an installer can grind concrete well or not is not an indication of his installing abilities. But a good installer will insist that the substrate/subfloor be brought into spec, whether it is done by him or someone else. You may want to purchase a concrete grinding setup with dust control and train a crew to do that. Then you would have more control over the quality of the work and when it gets done. This crew could go ahead of the install crews and perform all the prep work including grinding, scraping, leveling, filling and cleaning of the slabs you are contracted to install wood floors on. Your company should charge the builder appropriately for this work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:41 pm 
Prized Contributor

I do my own, but I don't subcontract where someone else is selling my labor for me at cut rate pricing. I bid all my own work.

If the guys doing the prep are not completeing their job to specifications, then it is their responsibility to bring the concrete to specifications, like you hired them to do.

The guy knows how to lay wood, but might not have a clue how to flatten a concrete slab that is way out of spec. I wouldn't do the prep unless I had a specific contract, to cover my butt for my time and materials I use, to make a profit, and not a loss.