Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: how to remove 100 grit j hook scratches in screened coat
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:22 pm 
Newbie Contributor

My floor man screened the floor with an OBS 18 with 100 grit screen - pretty sure he used the red pad. He screened the floor twice to remove trash and other imperfections. After it was coated i have j hook scratches everywhere - looks like a chain link fence everywhere. I am a layman but am considering renting an OBS 18 and trying to screen out these scratches. I was wondering do I need to make a pass with a 100 grit screen to take the new topcoat off and then go back with a 200 grit screen to take out the scratches made by the 100 grit.

I am approaching my rope's end. and have been chasing the dragon trying to get my living room floor to look as it once did with satin oil based poly. I am seriously considering using soy gel stripper to remove the polyurethane and coating the floor with milk paint's brand of tung oil thinned with citrus solvent. Not sure I will like the look but getting a polyurethane floor correctly coated with no trash has become an engineering marvel.

Please advise on how to get the scratches off. If I can screen the imperfections out I might consider recoating myself with a different applicator or maybe even a china bristles brush if it won't leave brush marks.

Please advise.

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: how to remove 100 grit j hook scratches in screened coat
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:51 am 
Prized Contributor

Two coats of oil based poly-urethane applied over the objectionable existing poly will look a lot better. Don't try to cover with another thick coat of poly.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: how to remove 100 grit j hook scratches in screened coat
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:55 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Are those jhook scratches only in the lower coat of poly or in the wood - there are a bunch of coats already on this floor.

Profile E-mail