Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How's my subfloor?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:25 pm 
New User

Hey guys,

Long time reader, first time poster. Finally onto installing hardwood floors upstairs! I bought a 1954 Dutch colonial fixer upper and I'm bringing it back to life. The home faced some water damage from a few years of sitting, forcing me to rip out all the old oak 2 1/4 flooring due to buckling, warpage, and even some rot. The subfloor is 1x6 diagonal plank pine. It looks to be in decent shape -joists are 16 OC. Where needed, I've replaced rotted subfloor with new planks and rescrewed all the planks nice and tight. My concern is the subfloor is not perfectly even. I know a house of this age with some of the issues it's had in the past that some unevenness is to be expected, but I'm not sure how much. It certainly doesn't vary more than 1/2 inch over any two spots. Real concern is some uneveness in height from plank to plank. I'm trying to avoid having to lay plywood over the whole upstairs, but will do if I have no options. Considering the floor was built to have 2 1/4 oak laid over it (which is what i bought) think id be ok to plane/sand high spots/edges?

Haha if someone smart can tell me how to upload pictures, i'd be eternally grateful! Thanks to everyone in advance. I'll keep you all updated on the project!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How's my subfloor?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:39 pm 
Valued Contributor

1/4" is normal deviation within a 10 foot radius

grind the spots to flat or within tolerance is proper approach and quite frankly , an unnecessary question to ask.

the reality is seeking perfection has no tolerance nor does being a hack.

Do what is correct for the situation,'

http://www.flortechardwood.net

Profile E-mail