Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: how do you advertise?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:57 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I'm working for someone else and starting to think of going out on my own. Anyone have any suggestions on how and where to advertise? What has and hasn't worked for you in the past? Where do potential clients look when searching for an installer?

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:46 am 
Worthy Contributor

Word of mouth, the best. But the yellow pages work too. 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:01 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I have gotten 90 percent of my work from referral.
I subcontracted for a guy who is a second generation, I was doing 50% of his work, about 100,000 ft a year, sands and installs. All he did was answer the phone and do bids. IF you got all your own equip, and your paperwork in order it is not a bad way to go. For this type of work you go to your local distributor and ask who 10-99's guys then you call him.

I got tired of pouring my heart and time into someone elses reputation and recently broke off after two years,

I have put a add in the paper and one on craigslist, other than that I have been driving around like crazy trying to have a face to face with the actual builders, this is the best way to get new work..In my opinion.

Other than that I am about to launch a radio add, I will be the only contractor in my state to do a hardwood flooring service add, and right before tax returns and stimulus...Give that some thought.

Sorry to ramble...J

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:10 am 
Site Admin

You happen to be looking at one free place to advertise. I cannot approve of blatant spamming, but if you hang around long enough providing some quality responses for consumers that visit our board, I have no objection of you placing your location and phone contact information in your signature like others do.

That could change, but for the time being I'd rather any of you guys take advantage of it.

It may also prove useful to provide an actual name instead of an internet nickname.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:14 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Great idea Ken :P

My name is Jamal A Banjar, I am the owner and operator of Buffalo Custom Hardwood floors hear in Albany Oregon. I am the *best floor guy around these parts so please call today.

*(most incredible, undesputed perfectionist this side of the Willamette river)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: how do you advertise?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:11 pm 
Valued Contributor

stack_ca wrote:
I'm working for someone else and starting to think of going out on my own. Anyone have any suggestions on how and where to advertise? What has and hasn't worked for you in the past? Where do potential clients look when searching for an installer?

Generally speaking, the yellow pages / phone book get you a lot of window shoppers. It's good to have an ad in the phone book in the beginning but don't spend a lot on a elaborate and huge add.Get an 1/8 page add and let that work for you a while.

The best way to get work in my experience is to work for someone else, befriend the builders and contractors that you meet as well as perform high quality work.Then when you have enough contacts, go on your own

Also, advertise on your vehicle, put placards on the lawns of the homes you work in.Consider advertising in a value coupon book and offer some kind of a discount on the work you do

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:23 pm 
Newbie Contributor

1) Word of mouth
2) Home shows - face to face time with the customer is invaluable
3) Yellow Pages

Cheers
Steve