Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How do you get the rail road spikes out of floor?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:29 pm 
New User

Ok they are not that big but they look kind of like them and in my floor they look pretty big. This is my first time writing as well as the first T&G hardwood floor refinishing job. I bought this house 2 years ago because of what I seen in the closets that didn't have carpet. Beautiful hardwood floors. I know under the carpet will be worst but not like this. I'm started in the bedroom and removed the carpet. To my surprise the floor looks real good just a few water/animal stains here and there mostly flat with some shifting of the planks. I also notice what looks like railroad spikes but smaller. I know they used them to quiet the floor but how do you get them out or do you leave them? Some are quit deep. Should I use a punch and drive them in farther where the sanding operation will not reach them and full trowel fill over them or try and remove them then fill over the holes.

Pulled up the carpet in the family room and it has a linoleum tile under the carpet. Pulled some of the linoleum up and to my surprise found tarpaper under it that they glued to the hardwood floor. Any ideas on how to get that stuff up? I think my only option is to scrap as much up of the tarpaper as I can then sand the rest. This project is on hold for a month but would love some help on this as well

I plan on doing the living and dining rooms but after this I'm not sure when that will be. Little afraid to look under the carpet on those floors I guess it can't be worse then what I've found so far. :D Boy how I wish my first outing would have been an easier one. Nothing like getting your feet wet the hard way.

Any help you all can give me are greatly appreciated. Oh by the way the floors are 54 years old and Oak. Will be staining to a colonial maple color. Let me know if there is anything else you may need to know.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:20 am 
New User

Not an expert in this field by any means, but given the age of that house you need to be careful with that "linoleum tile" you're talking about. I had a similar product in my house (built in 1958) and had to have it inspected to make sure it wasn't VAT (vinyl asbestos tile).

If it is, you can't remove it yourself. You can't simply throw it in the trash. And you DEFINITELY don't want to be sanding what's left of the floor after you rip it up. It may explain why the previous owner simply covered it with carpet.

Guys, am I totally off base here or is this a legit concern?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:55 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

No, you are not. Asbestos was commonly used in home construction into the 1970's. Many experts suggest leaving it alone or covering it over. Should it need to be removed, it is the homeowners responsibility to hire the properly licensed abatement contractor. It is a health hazard if disturbed, as is lead paint.

Post subject: solid hardwoods over linoleum and particleboard?
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:06 pm 
New User

Resurrecting an old post...

I am planning on installing solid bamboo in my kitchen. The kitchen is on the second floor above a full basement. The current flooring is two layers of vinyl sheeting glued to 5/8" particleboard underlayment nailed to 5/8" plywood subfloor.
I was planning to remove the top layer of vinyl sheeting and then removing the bottom vinyl and particleboard together to avoid any asbestos. However, three HW installers have recommended to NOT remove the bottom layer of vinyl, just cover with 1/2" ply and nail down the bamboo. Everything I have read says Do Not nail hardwood into particleboard - it will not hold. But the advice from the three professionals contradict this. They say cutting the vinyl and particleboard out (around the cabinets) would release any asbestos in the air.
I am not sure if the pros advice is based on a quicker and easier job, or if they truly believe that the 1/2" plywood would hold the hardwood nailing.
Should I create the "particleboard sandwich", or go with my plan of removing all vinyl and particleboard?

Thanks for any advice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:43 pm 

You CAN safely remove the asbestos laden vinyl floor BUT, you must hire a licensed abatement contractor to do it. Then you could nail your bamboo floor right to the subfloor IF it is in acceptable condition. Personally, I would seriously consider this option over adding more plywood and sandwiching everything together. It may cost a little more but consider the advantages. No more concern about the asbestos, the floors will not be a lot higher than the surrounding or adjoining floors, no plywood to buy or install, and a solid, trouble free install. THose other contractors are correct in their statement about adding more 1/2" plywood over the existing floor. That is the NOFMA answer. NOFMA states that IF the existing particle board cannot be removed, an additional layer of 1/2" plywood should be installed over it as a nailing base for the new wood flooring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:12 am 
Prized Contributor

Those railroad spikes are actually called cut nails. They were used often in older homes that utilized wide plank flooring. Now people use them mainly for astectic reasons more than anything else. You need to set them far enough so that the sander drum does not hit them. Nails will at least ruin the paper causing a line or if high enough tear a nice chunk out of the drum. I wouldnt fill them they add to historic value and authenticity of the floor.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:17 pm 

Kev, that was a real old post you are answering. Look at the date 11/04 :shock:
This guy, de5924, is asking about asbestos removal. :wink: