Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How do you tack??
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:20 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

It seems like everyone has a different method for tacking before a finish coat..I buff with my Clarke 1600 and the Alto DCS vacuum then vacuum each area twice (once in each direction). then I tack with a very well wrung out towel and allow to dry and drop my finish coat. I know some guys tack with bona clean and the microfiber mop. whats your technique?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:53 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

I like the terry cloth towel over a push broom method. I've used the BONA microfiber mops and they're good, but they seem to be a little more trouble and the dampened towel works just as well. FYI, You will never get a 100% flawless finish on floors. Ain't gonna' happen', no way, no how. However, it can look like a 110% job, if you do it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:19 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I think i've developed a problem with tacking. Recently i've noticed either dust bubbles or air bubbles. Not sure which but im leaning on air bubbles. I've been using Minwax Oil poly. Not the "for floors." Did they change the formulation or what? I cannot get rid of the "bubbles." I vacuum once with the grain and tack with Mineral spirits. Leave my brush and applicator in mineral spirits or paint thinner, still can't get rid of it. Never had this problem untill recent. Do I need to change to a different OMU ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:06 pm 

They may have. Manufacturers are notorious for changing product and not saying anything. If you're getting air bubbles, make sure the finish and floor are near the same temp, 65 to 75 degrees, there is no air movement across the floor, you're not using some quick dry finish from Minwax, and you are not over brushing. If you over brush, you are introducing bubbles into the finish. Some finishes bubble but will flow out. You may need to switch to another OMU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:21 am 
Newbie Contributor

Difference in temperatures between the two is definetly present. I never considered that. My last two jobs were occupied residents and both had doors and windows cracked slightly, I had assumed my cleaning job was sufficient. Could the air movement be part of the bubbles in the finish ? Thanks for the help !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:33 pm 

Yes, here's why. Many finishes bubble somewhat when they're applied. However, as they slowly dry, surfactants in the finish allow the bubbles to pop and flow out. If there is air flow across the floor, this can cause the finish to dry too fast. And then the bubbles do not have enough time to pop and flow out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:25 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Good explanation and again, many thanks. Still contemplating the decision of switching to another OMU. Need to do some more research on availability and performance. Thanks again Gary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:08 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Tacking the floor prior to the final coat is debateably the most guarded secret of my company. But the only sure fire substance to use is leuk hot water that has completely evaporated, regardless of the finish.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:25 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I'm sorry what is "leuk"?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:00 pm 
Prized Contributor

Warm water. Not too hot for your hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:04 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I guess its spelt luke warm, but what I meant with luke hot was I rinse out my secret tack rag with scorching hot water and by the time the sterile tacker hits the floor it is good and warm.
Cold water seems to take longer to dissipate, which isn't really a problem if you are using water based finishes, but is for me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:46 pm 
Valued Contributor

I like the Bonakemi microfiber a lot. One can last a very long time and simply needs to be vacuumed for about 3 seconds to be ready to be used again.

For vacuuming, I rely on the felt tipped vacuum heads and then go over the floor with the Bona microfiber. As it loads up, I vacuum it off and then keep going and then repeat as necessary.

My partner is more anal than I am and will occasionally use a second microfiber lightly dampened with mineral spirits for oil based jobs or hot water for water based jobs.

The reason that I prefer the Microfiber is that it's on it's own swivel and once you screw it onto a compatible pole , you can move very quickly with it as opposed to a dampened towel or shirt under a broom which you can't control as easily.

Either way, you can vacuum and tack forever and there will still be some small particles somewhere in the finish. I recommend never using brand new lambswools,rollers,padcos on final coats. Try to use a set up where you can season / break in your applicators and keep them wet between uses.

Profile E-mail