Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How do you turn a corner using a floating tongue and groove
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:56 pm 
New User

I'm laying down a bamboo floating tongue and groove floor and I have to turn a corner and change direction of the floor from running vertical to running horizontal. The reason I have to change direction is it is approaching a stair case and the top stair nosing has a groove that the floor needs of fit into. I'm wondering what the best way to do this is. Would it be acceptable to turn the corner using 45 degree cuts with a miter saw and just gluing down the floor at the turn and filling in any noticeable cracks where the floor joins together with putty? Or would gluing one small section of the floating floor not allow for natural expanding and contracting? The other thing I was thinking was just to keep it all running vertical and when I get to the stairs nosing, just glue it at that 1 seam. It won't be the perfect fit that the tongue and groove would be, but it will only be at that 1 joint instead of several. Or is therected a better way?

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How do you turn a corner using a floating tongue and groove
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:03 am 
Prized Contributor

A floating floor intersecting into a groove is not a good idea. The floating floor needs to have an expansion/shrinkage joint like a T-molding where one part is fastened down like the nosing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How do you turn a corner using a floating tongue and groove
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:41 am 
Newbie Contributor

Don't glue parts of floating floor! You'll restrict the movement and cause deflection overtime. When we've had floating floors meeting a nosing, we always replace the nosing with a matching product that fits properly. Then knowing that the nosing side cannot move, you have to leave a bigger expansion gap on the opposite side of the room or hallway.

Profile E-mail