Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hows biz going so far?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:17 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Just wondering how the traffic flow is going for you guys in your neck of the woods, slowed down a liitle here and still trying to keep myself busy with small jobs as well as some bigger ones.
Potential clients are really looking at what they can spend and when to have their projects done now with this economy.

And the weather isnt the greatest here now that the colds here,lol, gosh I wish I could more back to Texas! How the biz down there,lol. San Antonio to be exact.

I miss the weather so bad!

WELL HOPE THE HOLIDAYS ARE GOOD FOR ALL AND HOPE YOU GUYS KEEP WORKING, MONEY IS TIGHT BUT WE CAN PULL THRU THIS!

HAPPY TURKEY DAY AND HOPE ALL HAVE A GOOD X-MAS!

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

Well if it's any indication of future business I have a barometer of sorts on the main site. Over the last 3-4 weeks those seeking bids for hardwood flooring work is down dramatically. That would sound almost common during a holiday period but I don't have any last year comparisons.

But then again that period should have those seeking to get work done before the Christmas holdays. Usually the activity is fairly strong? Correct?

Folks are holding on to their dough and with the October-November massacre in the markets it makes sense.

Uncertain times for sure. Hang in there all.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:38 am 
Prized Contributor

I got work thru Christmas but nothing firm for 09 yet. Four or 5 proposals out, but who knows? :) I would like to be able to get a month or two break but I'm not independently wealthy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:22 am 
Worthy Contributor

I'm still available for Lam and hardwood Jerry .. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:00 am 
Prized Contributor

Nick wrote:
I'm still available for Lam and hardwood Jerry .. :lol:
Good to hear Nick......... I'm trying to increase my profit margins :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Anyone from the San Antonio, Tx area on the boards?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:12 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Hey all,
Hope everyone is having a great Xmas or trying to, might actually be able to make the big move to my homeland,lol.

I miss Texas so much! Just wondering how the flooring market is there.

That little cold spell of -6 the other day and the freaking 10"inches of snow that last week is really making think about moving,lol.
Man it was so cold and dragging materials and tools was terrible!

Well if anybody has some feedback to life in San Antonio then get back to me. All my family are from the boonies, like Poteet and Somerset and such.

Well I wish everybody a nice Xmas and hope you all are making some money.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:26 am 
Worthy Contributor

Merry Christmas to all .
I heard it was so cold out there Mike that there were actual sightings of lawyers whit their hand in their own pocket .. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:31 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Good one Nick! :lol:

I've talked to dudes who live in areas with heavy snow and asked how they deal with getting tools and lumber in and out. Some say they spend a hour shoveling snow to get to the front door of the house their supposed to work in! :shock: Screw that! I admire the tenacity to "git er done" but geez louise, I think I'd have one of those portable snow blowers IF I decided to take on that task. I admire you how choose to live in snow country. I cannot deal with it personally. Beaches and sand are more to my liking. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:02 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Getting sick on Christmas Eve. I packed up the trailer from the major sanding part. This was in a "good" area of town and went home to get better and enjoy the Holiday.

You might have already guessed but my Christmas surprise was to returning to my job trailer missing from the home. :cry:

I have been sick to my stomach for the last two days. I am in total shock. On the good side most of what I needed to finish this job was inside. I do have insurance coverage but I am nervous as to how that is going to pan out. :roll:

Some of the other local contractors have helped me out with a couple of miscellaneous things I have need thus far.

Happy New Year!! :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:18 pm 

Dammit, that sucks! :x I despise thieves. We got ripped off from a job where the tools were inside the house. Both us and the trim carpenters. Tools lost?
2 compressors
2 finish nailers
2 sliders
staple gun

The owner probably has insurance but hasn't offered to file a claim. I'm not done yet so I may bug him about that. What do you guys think? Does a homeowner have any liability for items stolen from inside his residence? How would you proceed?

Then, a couple of days ago, someone got a hold of a business check I wrote out to a charity and somehow, "washed" it of all the info, re-wrote it as a forgery and ripped me off for over $3,600.00. Hopefully, my bank's fraud dept. will reimburse me.

I despise thieves!

Barquios, I hope things work out OK for you on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:06 am 
Prized Contributor

Sorry to hear that Barquios and Gary.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:22 am 
Site Admin

Yea, I hope you guys get things resolved.

Gary, some criminals are dumb. Maybe some fingerprints on that check?

Hard to say about those tools. You know it's gotta be somebody else that was/is working there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:06 pm 

Around here, the police and sheriff's dept don't bother dealing with this type of crime. They let the fraud dept. of the financial institution deal with it. The banks rarely attempt to find the perp. Mostly, they go after the particular institution that cashed the fake check in the first place. Since the check was forged and cashed all on the same day, I suspect the crook/s went to a check cashing place instead of a regular bank. Banks don't cash checks unless you have an account with them. Eventually, the forged check will be sent back to my bank where they can examine it if they want. But by then, how many hands have handled it? Even my bank didn't didn't request I file a police report, knowing full well the police won't do anything anyway.

About the tools. Yeah, we know it was an inside job. There have been many trades working on this house. I think the homeowner feels that as long as it isn't his loss or stuff, it's not his problem and there's nothing he can do. The police are not going to interview and get search orders for every individual who had access to this home. I guess, just the cost of doing business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:37 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Make them turn it into their home owners Gary . why should you bite the bullet ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:08 am 

Nick wrote:
Make them turn it into their home owners Gary . why should you bite the bullet ?

How does one "make" a homeowner do anything? I'm speaking legal here guys. All I can do is suggest it strongly.