Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ideal Climatic Time of Year to Install?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:53 am 
New User

Hello:

I'm finding better floor prices during winter months, but my remodel project won't be ready for flooring for a few months. Job site is located in CA Sierra foothills - ocassional light snow dustings winters and 90+ summers, and occupied only on weekends using a wood stove for heat.

I'm looking at WFI's 9/16", 3" or 5" single strip engineered flooring. Haven't decided upon the species yet. Float install a must.

I'm thinking about buying now, storing unopened off site where there's ambient indoor temperature, then transferring to jobsite to acclimate when ready to install, estimate March. March is still a chilly month and HVAC may not be installed at jobsite by then. Wondering if I should hold off installation until a warmer month, i.e. May. Also wonder if by waiting until May (4 mos) after a Dec purchase if I inadvertently waive any warranty rights for possibly defective flooring as I'm under the impression I shouldn't open cartons to inspect condition until it's ready to be installed.

Or.......... should this engineered floor be installed during the hot summer months? I'd rather protect the integrity of the floor and its installation than save a few bucks for a wintertime purchase.

Thanks & Regards
dg

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:01 am 
Newbie Contributor

dg,
I'm in the Sierras at Lake Almanor. Elevation 4600 feet and 12 feet of snow each year. Our house started out as a weekend retreat 4 years ago and has now become full time home. (We escaped the Bay Area)
I laid my floors with Bruce engineered single strips in glue 4 years ago during the memorial day weekend. Now that we are here full time, with the woodstove going constanlt, I noticed some shrinkage. Put a kettle on the woodstove and in a few days the wood went back to non gap status. I would say that March is a little early to lay your floors as there is still a lot of moisture to come. If you're not in that big of a hurry, Wait until at least May when the rains (moisture) start to taper off. Your HVAC system will help a lot. Also, the darker the wood, the less noticeable the cracks will be IF they ever appear. My floors are natural oak and if you were bored and stared at the floor, on your hands and knees, you would find hairline gaps between them. As for your warranty, as far as I've ever known, it does't start until the floor is laid as long as they're stored properly. Something to double check with the salesman you bought from.
Hope this helps,
Danny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:14 pm 
New User

Thanks, Danny. How wide are your boards? I'm under the impression narrower engineered boards are more stable. 5" is preferred for my application to speed up the float install, but willing to consider 3" if it helps avoid eventual problems associated with concrete subfloors regardless of all the prudent prep. I had a moisture reading done last summer and it was ok - nothing significant to warrant switching to a different floor covering. A reading during the cold rainy months may prove to be a different story thou.

Regards
dg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:35 pm 
Worthy Contributor

If you are floating the floor, and the boards are glued to each other, and not the subfloor, I don't think you'll see expansion, between the boards like on a nail down. You will need to leave expansion space at the wall area's, undercutting the drywall will give you another 1/2".. I live and install in Central Calif. and have used that method a few times with good sucess, and no problems. 5" plank will work fine.