Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Inquire about what type of product and companies to consider
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:29 pm 
New User

Hi ! Everyone,

I am looking to install a 1800-2000 sq ft Good Quality hardwood (Solid or Engineered) on two levels of the home thats under construction. My interest is in Tigerwood/Santos Mahogany/Brazilian Cherry/Teak. Please suggest which company is the Best for these with their Pros and Cons if possible. I personally like Mercier/Mirage for their quality and no Bruce Please. Has anyone heard about EXPO Floors?

Thanks,
Raj

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: We need to know a few things
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:11 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Raj,
What 2 levels and areas are you looking at doing? Are any areas below grade? To be installed over wood, concrete, OSB....? What kind of heating and/or climate control systems? Any kids, dogs, etc...?

Lots to consider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:04 pm 
New User

Hi ! Andrew,

Both the levels are above grade over Plywood. The main level has a library, Living, Dining, and Family Room. The Upper level has 4 BR, Steps leading to Upper Level and Hallway. I have one kid.

Thanks,
Raj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:48 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Hi Raj,
It doesn't sound as though you need to be looking at engineered, unless you want to.

Mercier - Offers Santos, Braz Cherry and Braz Teak in solid (9/16" and/or 3/4"), and their finish has the highest Taber rating I know of. They also have nice lengths in solid product. Their Santos is my personal favorite because it is beautiful, but it's also very hard and stable. It's grain won't hide a whole lot though.

Mirage - Only offers exotics in engineered, and you won't be happy with the lengths.

Although I don't have any experience with them, it sounds like WFI would also be good to consider, and they do offer Tigerwood. The advantage of it would be that it'll hide more than the others, but it may look busy.
Hopefully you'll hear from some others about what brands they like.

Good Luck!

Post subject: Eterna
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:05 pm 
New User

Try the Eterna brand. Similiar to Mirage. They also have Santos, Braz. Cherry, Kempas. Or Johnson with their Rosewood, Braz. Oak or Kempas. Where are you Raj?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:00 pm 
New User

Thanks for all the inputs,

One final question:

I would like to ask you one simple question; I am looking for medium brown dense wood with some red highlights but not really red as the santos mahogany (I believe it looks really red). Could you suggest some with the brands that carry them and which one would be your first choice.
I was looking at the Amendoim (WFI/BR-111)/Tiete Chestnut (BR-111)/Brazilian Teak (WFI/BR-111) and the Tekno Engineered Products that carry those as well. Hey do you think i can place tigerwood in my whole house, i am just scared to do that.

Thanks
Raj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:39 pm 
Newbie Contributor

There are limitless possibilities here. For medium brown, consider cumaru (brazilian teak), patagonian chestnut, southern chestnut, iroko, doussie (afzelia) AKA roman magnolia. You could also consider bubinga AKA siena rosewood, although depending on where you get it, it will be either brown (unique flooring, columbia out of africa) or red (siena rosewood).

WFI also have several browns, including royal mahogany, carribean walnut, carribean rosewood. For darker brown there are several from the company formerly know as Terra (i think now is WFI?), including machiche, chiechen etc. There is no limit in color range here.

Also Boen has several options, including mutenye, panga-panga, angelique (probaly cumaru).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:51 pm 
Prized Contributor

It can all depend on the manufacturer as to the color of the wood.

I know WFI, BR-111, and Mannington's Brazillian Cherry all look totally different. If you saw them side by side, you would say they were each a different species.