Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Inspectors Posting
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:32 pm 
Prized Contributor

I think it's great a few inspectors post here under assumed names and try and throw us a curve ball. But, the guys here really know their stuff. I'm happy to be in with such fine company.

SP

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Inspectors Posting
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:23 pm 
Prized Contributor

Inspectors ? :shock: Just kidding. I second that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:39 pm 
Prized Contributor

Howard, your sites looking mahvelous! :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:00 am 
Site Admin

"assumed names"

Who? And more important why disguise their names?

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:00 pm 
Prized Contributor

Personally, I think it's pretty sick, and shows a personality flaw I'm not fond of, and IMHO shows a very small person. But hey, I'm just a Dungeon Dude, just my opinion :mrgreen: I cant imagine it's one of our respected comrads.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:22 am 
Prized Contributor

On the older inspection forums we used to post lots of flooring failure pics and scenerios but not give out all the information just to see who could figure it out. It was fun. Then you get to tease the guys who cant figure out the simple ones. :P But then they get all butt hurt, specially the older inspectors who never have installed hardwood and floors in general. heh heh
Dang, I guess I might have a personality flaw...... :oops:

There's a newer one Ray set up. He had to hide the Inspectors forum so no one can read it unless he lets you join. There were to many wrong answers from his other collegues and they thought it was to embarrassing for the general public to read.

And if your an experienced installer with superior knowledge than then fahget it, your outa there. lol I think it would be great if they posted more of those here. But basically the forum is a bunch of old inspectors trying to impress each other. It does get old.

http://floortektalk.com/vbulletin/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:36 am 
Prized Contributor

Heck no, I dont think that's a personality flaw, ( what's a personality flaw anyway, I'm sure I have more than most).
That sounds like a fun time to me,( maybe I need a life :oops: ). I think it wood be cool to set up an area like that on the Forum.
What gets my goat is someone being underhanded, knowingly playing you for a fool, lack of respect. What's someone's motivation for not being up front, and not treating people in a professional manner? I'm glad I'm not one of those old cocker inspectors. Actually, if I must say, I dont have much respect for inspectors that dont have an installation backround. Let them have their little party elsewhere.

Just pulled up that link....Very disturbing, these guys,"professional non-bias inspectors" have their minds already made up that all scenarios are installer related and responsibility. I'm reading hypothetical posts that belittle installers, lump us into one predictable, unprofessional, low I.Q. category. The posts I have read are a bunch of narrow minded pompus old men that dont have a clue. I'm sure there are respectable inspectors out there. Just my opinion.

I'm half tempted to go on there and rattle some cages, but why stoop to their bottom feeder level. Darn...Sorry, got me going.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:38 pm 
Prized Contributor

Floorologist wrote:
Actually, if I must say, I dont have much respect for inspectors that dont have an installation backround. Let them have their little party elsewhere.

Thats a real thorn in some of their sides Howard. Wish you coulda been there on the old forums like Fred Gamble's and the old FI.com site. Now if you even mention anything about inspectors not having any installation background your banned. lol

A few say they did have installation background but were only glorified helpers or just a lacky salesman for the family retail store. This is why I always stress advising consumers who need an inspector to check their back ground thoroughly.

Not to say a very inetlligent guy or gal can become an expert by reading a book but not sayin you can either. They miss a whole lot of .....lets say little things that a professional journeyman installer would only catch.

Then there's the science. Science is good and bad if applied incorrectly. Jes sayin.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:08 pm 
Prized Contributor

floormeintucson wrote:

Thats a real thorn in some of their sides Howard. Wish you coulda been there on the old forums like Fred Gamble's and the old FI.com site. Now if you even mention anything about inspectors not having any installation background your banned. lol

I would have loved to be a a part of those forums, hanging low, just saying enough to make them crazy. Reality, they probably would have banned me in 1 post, hehe. Thanks Ken and Keith for putting up with me :mrgreen:

For whatever it's worth ...I think all inspectors should have a prerequisit of 10 years minimum Journeyman installation, (learn how to spell also). An inspector just doesn't know all the necessary details unless they have been in the trenches. IMO that is something that should have never been overlooked in this trade.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:11 pm 
Prized Contributor

Howard, now that you brought it up. There's this carpet association that certify's carpet cleaning people for hardwood inspections....yea I know. But since they think they know all about every flooring out there they get these guys certified and the manufacturers actually hire them to go inspect hardwood jobs...mainly carpet/wood and vinyl manufacturers through a brokerage firm. The IICRC is well know because they have written standards which have been accepted by manufacturers and the manufacturers teach the guys teaching the classes. Hmmmmm

There are several brokerage firms out there. Some have been caught giving out answers to the multiple question tests. Or just the buddy system saying well your a buddy you get the cert so it's all about numbers. Some certify house wives of installers. It's all manufactuer related claims,

I joined a brokerage firm just to se how the system worked. Had to stop within two years due to the hypocricy. Lots of stories and them changing reports. Went behind one carpet cleaner inspector who said an engineered was delaminating due to the impact of the nailer and or rubber mallet. It was a 3/8 engineered.....trigger pull gun. The inspector spent all day checking everything.
Funniest thing was that the wood (foreign made) was delaminating on the tongue side and the groove side. Looked in the box of uninstalled wood and it was all delaminated

The poor retailer had been fighting them for six months to get a replacement. Mean while the home owner was about to file a lawsuit against the retailer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:38 am 
Valued Contributor

You guys appreciate inspectors...

Thank you.

Most failures inspected are installer errors so I can easily understand the prejudicial opinions of the installation community.

Most inspectors have had installation experience or backgrounds then changed careers after drug and alcohol rehabilitation.

:roll: :lol:

Just kidding, so don't jump off deep end..
:twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:00 am 
Prized Contributor

Well I think I'll take a couple deep breaths , and set my bottle down.
First off respect is earned. While it's true there are plenty of installers I wouldn't let in my home, the percentage of self proclaimed inspectors is far greater.

I can only speak for myself.... Yes, I do appreciate inspectors. An inspector that has sufficient installation backround and has done his or her due diligence to become a respected non-bias inspector in this profession.

Fortunately, knock on wood, I have not had the honor of an inspector on one of my installations in 38 years. I say fortunately because IMO there are very few legitimate inspectors in this business. I have found that the typical inspector is a hired gun, and in their twisted way side with the party that supports them. Have a lack of real knowledge, and have no business inspecting. This is not from a pure installers point of view, but an ex inspector, as well as ex retail brick and morter owner.
Furthermore to ad insult to injury, these inadequate "inspectors" lump all installers into one category , probably justifying their own short comings, and taking shots at respected installers and their profession. Give me a respected inspector like SP or Perry, and the likes.

By the way Ray....Just to set the record straight, since I cringe at being played....Are you Sbennett???

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:55 pm 
Valued Contributor

I am who I am, Ray Darrah.

I've been in the flooring business since age 7, working with my parents at their retail store, and never left the flooring industry other than a short stint of military reserve training. I even worked in the industry during my college career.
Reading posts degrading any segment of the industry turns me off as the prejudicial views can only be harmful. This is an industry, not unlike any other industry, with good and bad in retailers, installers, manufacturers importers and inspectors. No segment is perfect nor imperfect.

Biased information leading to prejudiced views is easily found on the internet. When will business people learn that one segment bashing another segment of the same industry results in damage to that industry?

There are only a few who insist on degrading each other therefore a few display their ignorance and prejudice that reflects only on themselves.

Maturity does not always come with age.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:45 pm 
Prized Contributor

[/quote]
Most failures inspected are installer errors so I can easily understand the prejudicial opinions of the installation community.

Most inspectors have had installation experience or backgrounds then changed careers after drug and alcohol rehabilitation.
Biased information leading to prejudiced views is easily found on the internet. When will business people learn that one segment bashing another segment of the same industry results in damage to that industry?
There are only a few who insist on degrading each other therefore a few display their ignorance and prejudice that reflects only on themselves.

[/quote]

Exactly, Well put. Sometimes facts hurt.
I AM still pondering whether I would feel comfortable with an inspector of such non-bias proportions on my installation, after digesting the first few comments.

On a side note... Two people may be in the same industry, but you will find numerous trades within an industry. Also...not professional, infact prejudice, to lump people of a specific trade into one catregory, and showing ignorance toward that specific trade as a whole, as well as displaying demeaning qualities in leu of ones own self advancement. All in all,IMHO, Everyone is an individual, and should be treated with the upmost respect, unless they personally bring on other consequences.

On another side note....I believe that Installers and Inspectors are rightfully held to high standards. Unfortunately IMHO there is diminishing respect for both trades within this industry, due to many reasons. We all have strikes against us from the get go, due to track records of incompetant piers, and prejudicial statements brought forth "jokeingly" dont help the matter.
I recently had the honor of reading some posts on an "Inspectors Forum", and to my shock was outraged at the hypothetical posts slandering Installers. This type of publicity is un called for ,unprofessional, again shows ignorance, and snowballs the issues of trust , respect, and reflects negative on the industry as a whole.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:51 pm 
Prized Contributor

Floorologist wrote:

[/quote]

Exactly, Well put. Sometimes facts hurt.
I AM still pondering whether I would feel comfortable with an inspector of such non-bias proportions on my installation, after digesting the first few comments.

On a side note... Two people may be in the same industry, but you will find numerous trades within an industry. Also...not professional, infact prejudice, to lump people of a specific trade into one catregory, and showing ignorance toward that specific trade as a whole, as well as displaying demeaning qualities in leu of ones own self advancement. All in all,IMHO, Everyone is an individual, and should be treated with the upmost respect, unless they personally bring on other consequences.

On another side note....I believe that Installers and Inspectors are rightfully held to high standards. Unfortunately IMHO there is diminishing respect for both trades within this industry, due to many reasons. We all have strikes against us from the get go, due to track records of incompetant piers, and prejudicial statements brought forth "jokeingly" dont help the matter.
I recently had the honor of reading some posts on an "Inspectors Forum", and to my shock was outraged at the hypothetical posts slandering Installers. This type of publicity is un called for ,unprofessional, again shows ignorance, and snowballs the issues of trust , respect, and reflects negative on the industry as a whole.[/quote]

For awhile there I thought it was just me.

Installers are picked on due to inacurrate information provided by manufacturers, because they are easy prey and have not the money to defend themselves, nor the aptitude either in many cases. Manufacturers give out a higher degree of information about their products defeciency's and products performence capability's at inspection seminars than they do the consumer or installation requirements thus playing the field.

I truly believe this forum is one of the best in the world for getting information that levels the playing field for installers and coinsumers alike. And I pledge to do my best to help

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next