Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Instaling floors in new construction
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:52 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I have a catch 22 question. I know the rules and procedures of installing a new floor, but it is impossible to follow the rules here in the South. The temperatures here have been very cold since before Christmas but I have 2 new construction homes that must be finished. The wood has already been laid in both, one has been down since before Thanksgiving. The problem is this: Power can not be turned on in the homes until they have their CO's. You can't get a CO until the house is finished at which point you can turn on the furnace. The house is not finished (according to the bank) until the floors installed and sanded. Other than explaining the error in this there is no remedy. It is illegal to hook power to the house (even a temp) before being inspected. What would you do?

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Instaling floors in new construction
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:02 am 
Prized Contributor

No temp poles? got to have access to temp power at least right? Ive run in to this quite a bit and locally you can get a "early on" but you do have to have an inspection for that by tha codes guy no big desl really just have to wait for him to come out. Other times I have seen little portable electric heaters in the house run off the temp pole.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:00 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

yes I can heat it up off the temp pole, but the temps and such will not stay constant, air temp feels good but the floor is ice cold. This happens all the time, just wondered how everyone else handles this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:40 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Most of my builders understand this and here, they are allowed to run the furnace off a temp power pole. It's not so much an issue with the local codes or inspectors but the utility company. They don't want to hook up the main panel until the very end. They will hook up the gas. So, we get the gas hooked up then run the power off the temp pole.. When it comes time for inspections, the temp power is removed and the main panel/s are connected. It's not a problem with the codes or inspectors around here, it's organizing everything to get the utility company to work within the builder's schedule.

But I do not understand why a temp power source would not run the furnace as well as the permanent source. Someone is screwing around with the thermostat. Now that's the most common problem. The builder sees dollar signs going out the windows and doors from the other trades who come in and open up all the doors and windows during the day. So the builder says, "Screw it, I'm not paying a grand a month to keep this house warm." It's all about trying to control the jobsite. A difficult task to be sure. If the builder/s waffle on you, just present them with a Release From Liability Agreement. That always works for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:38 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

the problem is that it is illegal to hook power to the house/panel/furnace before getting a CO. I agree with the release, but still it goes back to the fact that builders don't care.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:39 pm 
Prized Contributor

The GC's still try and pull that crap here. But I called the power company and they told me they can get a temp permit. It don't fly with me. Either get someone else or turn on the HVAC

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:24 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

If I presented that attitude, I would not get any jobs around here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:50 pm 
Prized Contributor

If all fails... Like Gary said, a release form. Amaizing how a GCs' mindset and actions will change, not wanting to take on the responsibility of a problem with the floor. Any GC I completely explained the situation too , and handed over a release form, respected me as a professional , and ultimately did what they were suppose to.

Be professional about the way you go about it, but dont give in to that crap, you'll pay.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:37 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Builders will try to walk all over you. This is their technique in exerting control, giving you the impression that if you don't go along with their way, you won't work for them. If that's what you're buying into, you're not playing it smart. This is how you do it.

You set up a meeting, telling the builder you need to speak with him briefly and you will not take up too much of his time. You begin by praising the guy, saying how you know what a good builder he is and how much pride he takes in building a quality home. Then you say those are your goals too. And you want to provide him with the best work and service of anyone around. Then tell him to be able to do that, you need a few small things. Then you provide him with a brief written summary of the things that need to be done before you can install the flooring. Provide documentation from the distributor, the NWFA and the flooring manufacturer to show it's not you that's saying this but the flooring industry. Tell him he wouldn't want his framing crews to cut corners would he? Or the plumbers? Or the Electricians? He certainly must not want you to provide an inferior floor, would he? Of course not! Therefore, you both are in agreement that these items need to be addressed. Here's where you suggest ways of making that happen for him. Some people love to have their problems solved by someone else. Builders are no different. Find out how you can accomplish getting temp power to the furnace. We do it here in CA, about the most highly regulated state in the USA. So I'm am sure this can be done. Figure it out for your builder and you'll gain his respect and loyalty. If you act just like another whining sub, he'll loathe you.

So, man up and take charge. Remember, YOU are the hardwood flooring expert. The builder hired YOU to provide him with expert advise and service. If you have a defeatist attitude before exploring all options, then you have become your own worst enemy.

Now I'll get down from the soap box :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:40 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Well, the builder finially caved in. They have agreed to wait until they can get some heat in the house before I sand the floor. Luckily I know the builder and his job is basically his rent check from me. Like I told him, doing the job pays my rent and I'll do it again for another month's rent!

Profile E-mail