Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Install help
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:06 pm 
Valued Contributor

RGS83 wrote:
That said, in the home stretch of this project, my wife has reevaluated and decided that the spare bedroom should now also run perpendicular to the hallway floor.

Not a big deal to change direction. BUT the hallway floor current ends with a full - width board on the inside of thredoorstop. Less than 1" more and it would have been center of the door jamb

My question now is.... if I don't want the headache of ripping a small board, fitting to size, grooving and resplining, is it better to have a full board finish outside the door, or just inside?

.....or do I just keep that room going the same direction as the hallway.
While I avoid the issue above, the direction of that room won't be the same as the other bedrooms.
(Room is pretty much a smaller square room, so not really long in any direction)

http://m.imgur.com/S6IbY61

Thanks again guys!

If you run the room perpendicular to the hallway, as your wife has suggested, and you don't want to do any ripping/splining, etc then letting the hallway board end inside the room would give the hallway a more homogeneous look when all the bedroom doors are closed. It would look funny if the room boards stuck out under the door....as the other bedrooms (#1 and #2) would have.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:24 pm 
Prized Contributor

Since you are using 3& a quarter inch widths I would rip one inch off so you have a square edge of the rip to butt the perpendicular floor against, so you don't need to have a groove on the ends of your cut-offs and the floor will still be smooth even though you could just change direction inside the doorway and not be too noticeable and use factory ends with the bevel since Bruce bevels their flooring all the way around.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:17 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I would have used a header board in the doorways to keep it even. If height differed I would plane from the bottom of wood to get them even. Also could have installed hall diagonally as it would be difficult to have it look even. Looks like you changed direction in hall?

Profile E-mail